Moparts

air bleeds

Posted By: EDDIEB

air bleeds - 06/03/10 01:06 AM

What does it mean when I cover my idle air bleeds with finger and the idle speeds up?
THANKS EDDIE B
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: air bleeds - 06/03/10 01:14 AM

It likes it richer. smaller air bleeds help it get fuel on the idle circuit.
Posted By: EDDIEB

Re: air bleeds - 06/03/10 01:24 AM

so does that mean I need smaller air bleeds
EDDIE B
Posted By: BSB67

Re: air bleeds - 06/03/10 01:44 AM

Maybe. Or the idle mixture screws are misadjusted, or you have a vacuum leak, or there is a pluggage or partial pluggage in fuel transfer portion of the idle circuit. It is simply telling you that the air to fuel ratio is lean, not necessarly why.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: air bleeds - 06/03/10 04:24 PM

Quote:

so does that mean I need smaller air bleeds
EDDIE B

Maybe. As stated, make sure your idle mixture screws are evenly set first. Air bleeds control air. Larger bleeds give a leaner mixture, smaller bleeds give a richer mixture. Idle air bleeds, the outside ones, will affect the idle mixture up to, generally around 3000 rpm. The smaller high speed bleeds will affect the higher rpm fuel air mixture. The cam and carb size determine the rpms at which the bleeds affect. This is all "generally speaking". From what you have discribed, the carb is running too lean for some reason.
Posted By: radar

Re: air bleeds - 06/04/10 01:11 AM

I'm about to mess with my air bleeds and my two cents is don't do it unless you have everything else dialed in first like was said. Did you set your idle mixture screws for best vacuum? That is first.
© 2024 Moparts Forums