Moparts

What the HELL is that squeak??

Posted By: Pat_Whalen

What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/01/10 11:42 PM

Figured I'd pose this question before I commence ripping out the rest of my hair.

My 440, after it gets warmed up, will squeak from the inside, and it will get louder/faster as RPM goes up, and then slow down when I drop to idle.

The only things I can say thus far is that if I put my ear over the carb, you can definitely hear it coming from inside it. I can't think of anything that would be squeaking in a carb, but then again, I'm no rocket scientist.

The sound is like that of two metal parts rubbing very quickly and sharply on one another. I can't explain it any other way. I might be inclined to record the sound later and post it up if my description doesn't net some results.

I just need to know what my next course of action should be. Pull carb? Pull intake? Pull valve covers?

Let me know please.

Thanks a lot,

Pat
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/01/10 11:45 PM

air leak?
Posted By: CavA3R4

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/01/10 11:54 PM

I had a starter start to engage my ring gear and it was a high pitched squeal. Stick your head under the car by the drivers side front wheel. Other then that, use an automotive stethoscope and disconnect one fan belt at time and check the alternator, waterpump, power steering, etc.
Good luck and keep us posted.
HTH
Bob

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/01/10 11:56 PM

Quote:

I had a starter start to engage my ring gear and it was a high pitched squeal. Stick your head under the car by the drivers side front wheel. Other then that, use an automotive stethoscope and disconnect one fan belt at time and check the alternator, waterpump, power steering, etc.
Good luck and keep us posted.
HTH
Bob

I have already disconnect all belts (there are only 2) and the squeak persists. I've put my head around every square inch of the engine looking for something minor rubbing somewhere. The most obvious location for the squeak is coming right out of the carb.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 12:06 AM

Quote:

I have already disconnect all belts (there are only 2) and the squeak persists. I've put my head around every square inch of the engine looking for something minor rubbing somewhere. The most obvious location for the squeak is coming right out of the carb.

try and spray some wd-40 around the base of the carb, notice if the idle changes and or sound changes. spray also around the intake to head area.
Bob
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 12:12 AM

Dang Pat..you sure come up with some good ones buddy

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 01:30 AM

Quote:

Dang Pat..you sure come up with some good ones buddy

I know. I know. I try and make everything easy on you felluhs.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 01:59 AM

Feed the squirrel's, they'll quit squeaking...
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 03:11 AM

I had a squeak noise that turned out to be the balancer coeming apart and the outer ring worked back against the TC cover.

Was hard to see as it went back and not forward on the elastomer ring.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 12:08 PM

Torque convertor or crank pulley bolts.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 02:08 PM

Quote:

The sound is like that of two metal parts rubbing very quickly and sharply on one another. I can't explain it any other way. I might be inclined to record the sound later and post it up if my description doesn't net some results.

How does your oil look ? I had a squeak like you describe, I thought it was the Hencho en Mexico throwout bearing I didn't replace when I installed a new clutch in my Bee .

I can't attach the picture , it's too big , it turns out mine was a spun bearing.

Posted By: sam64

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 02:12 PM

i had a squeak in a new motor i bought,when i finally pulled it out after trying all the obvious stuff it had cracked cylinder.the warmer it got the louder it got,piston rings scraping over the crack,i would have never beleived it could make a noise like that but it did.hope you have better luck than me.

Attached picture 6016418-mopars083(Small).jpg
Posted By: ramrod

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 02:24 PM

I had a smallblock that chirped when it warmed up. Previous owner had mixed up a few of the rocker arms. Straightened them out and the noise went away.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 02:29 PM

Internal carb leak? Try a length of heater hose as a listening device. One end close to ear, other at problem.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 06:04 PM

Here's a quick little video I shot. You can definitely hear the higher-pitched squeak if you listen, and you can hear it speed up as idle increases.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4x8GuwCrsU
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 09:02 PM

Can't hear much , but what I do hear doesn't sound good , like it's misfiring ?
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 09:32 PM

1. Pushrods rubbing cyl head/

2. PCV Valve?
Posted By: minivan

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 10:03 PM

Do you have a breather in one valve cover and a PCV valve in the other?? If not you can develop a vacuum in the motor that will sound like a sqeal/sqeak.....
Posted By: deansrr

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 10:11 PM

I think I would at least pull valve covers off, just to check things out

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 10:33 PM

Quote:

Do you have a breather in one valve cover and a PCV valve in the other?? If not you can develop a vacuum in the motor that will sound like a sqeal/sqeak.....

Yes and yes, and they are both hooked up to their appropriate locations.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/02/10 10:33 PM

Quote:

I think I would at least pull valve covers off, just to check things out

About to step out to the garage right now to take care of that.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 02:10 AM

double check your plug wires to be sure you have the correct firing order.
Use a screw driver and hold on your distributer base to see if the sound is coming from there... stethoscope is better.
Posted By: Bob's71R/T

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 03:42 PM

i had a 383 in my 65 dodge and the squeak noise wound up being a burnt exhaust valve..had like a "V" shape burned into it, are they 906 heads? are you running no lead fuel? cause if you dont have hardened seats they will burn. i hope this helps and i hope im wrong
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 04:02 PM

Pat, the rocker arm shafts have offset oiling holes for the rocker arms. Is it possible you have one or both of them turned around backward so the rockers aren't getting proper oiling?
Posted By: feets

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 05:47 PM

Can't view the video at work but I hope it's not the same squeek I had years ago. Mine was a rod bearing.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 06:54 PM

Quote:

Pat, the rocker arm shafts have offset oiling holes for the rocker arms. Is it possible you have one or both of them turned around backward so the rockers aren't getting proper oiling?

I'm seriously hoping this was my issue. Pulled the driver's side valve cover today and the #1 exhaust rocker looked like this:

That is fine metal dust. The inside cup of the rocker is bone dry, and the pushrod tip is also dry. After I removed the two pieces and fit them together and moved them briskly back and forth, they began squeaking.

I haven't moved over to the pass. side yet, but I did inspect all 7 of the other rockers and they all appear to be fine.

I guess my question would then be, what would cause this rocker to not be getting oiled? I've got 70PSI pressure on a cold start, and the engine was actually nose down a little while it was in my driveway.

Thanks for the continued suggestions

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 07:17 PM

Yikes....

Here is what the driver's side rocker shaft looks like. Above are the numbers stamped in the rocker's underside, below is obviously their location, and below that is the cylinder.

The stamped numbers don't seem to make any sense in the arrangement of them in relation to the int/exh lineup. Also, the one rocker I'm having the squeak on is not numbered like the others. It is 162+ and the others are 167+/166+. Interesting?
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 07:19 PM

Is it possible that the oil hole for that rocker is plugged up? Remove the shaft and clean it real good and check all of the oil holes. Reassemble and pull the plugs and coil wire and turn the engine over and observe the oil flow to make sure oil is getting into all of the rockers.
Posted By: beedees

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 07:53 PM

Possible that cam brngs. are not indexed right, #1 exhaust is the last to get oiled.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 08:11 PM

Quote:

Possible that cam brngs. are not indexed right, #1 exhaust is the last to get oiled.

Possible I'm a complete moron. You can't see it in the picture above, but the way the rocker shaft was rotated, the oiling holes were facing upward.

I'll reinstall in with the holes facing down, correctly, but I'd still like to know how exactly to make sure the right rocker shaft is on the right int/exh portion of the shaft.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 08:17 PM

Oil holes down, pointing to the valves.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 08:21 PM

Quote:

Oil holes down, pointing to the valves.

Got it

Now I'm more interesting in assuring I've got the rockers positioned properly on the shaft. Like I said, is this just something you test and fit, or is there an appropriate orientation that I should follow to make sure everything is aligned properly and oiling correctly?
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 08:22 PM

Well, I have only dealt with small blocks, but IF the big block shafts work the same way there is a notch on one end of the shaft. The left bank (drivers side) the notch should be in the front in the down position, the right bank the notch should be in the back in the down position.

When I reassembled my rocker assembly there was an R and an L stamped in the rocker for right and left as you looking at them.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/04/10 08:25 PM

Just make sure you get the rockers on the shaft in the right order, they are right and left offset.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/11/10 01:37 AM

What was the result Pat?

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/11/10 02:37 AM

Yes Pat we all want to know, we can't sleep at night, What the HELL is that squeak??
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/11/10 02:41 AM

Posted By: rp23g7

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/11/10 01:46 PM

I had the same noise appear in my 440 a few weeks after i bought the car, a noise that sounded like a bearing going out or something, listened all over with a dowl but couldnt figure it out.

It sounded like it was coming from the right side, but couldnt pinpoint it.

It went away when i changed the oil the first time after i had the car. It had a blue GM filter on it.

I took apart the filter thinking it may have been collapsed, it looked ok. It hasnt made the noise since, could have been thin oil too.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/11/10 02:36 PM

Quote:

Sorry folks. I've been doing a little too much of this ^^^ and as such, everything is still apart. I was also chasing what, at first glimpse, appeared to be a vacuum leak and some possible oil sucking on the intake so I took that off also. This weekend I should get everything back together, properly, and run her. I'm excited about my chances this time

I'll keep this thread updated.

Hopefully this is enough closure for now for those of you suffering from insomnia as a result of my squeak.

Re: What the HELL is that squeak?? - 06/11/10 03:05 PM

well I might sleep a little better this weekend

hope it works
© 2024 Moparts Forums