Moparts

Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool

Posted By: AK_JH27

Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/01/10 08:46 PM

has anyone used it?

I have a few questions

1/ whats a ball park figure to adjust the camber?

2/ how to do you adjust the caster?

3/ a little toe in? is this preferred ?
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/01/10 09:37 PM

My

Quote:

I have a few questions

1/ whats a ball park figure to adjust the camber?

Most people agree anywhere from 0 to 1/2 negative camber.

Quote:

2/ how to do you adjust the caster?

Change it by moving the upper ball joint in relation to the lower ball joint.

With most early mopars you adjust the upper eccentric adjustment at the upper control arm.

Quote:

3/ a little toe in? is this preferred ?

Almost always 'in' not 'out'

Most your wear will be from toe and toe change when braking. Toe will tend to want to toe out during braking.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/01/10 09:52 PM

AS posted here MANY times. SEt the ride height FIRST. I don't like the factory way so I suually set about an inch between the lower control arm frame bumper and the frame. Then I use the LCA body and frame distance and set both sides the same.

Then set the adjusting cams with the front all the way out and the rear all the way in. Adjust the rear cam out until you have the desired 1/2 degree negative camber. Do this on both sides and check caster, but this the MOST positive caster you will get with the current set of parts on the car.

Now, set the tow to about 1/16-1/8" IN.

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/01/10 10:08 PM

John

not following you on the adjusting cam, for the front all the way out? rear all the way in? sorry not getting it.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/01/10 10:23 PM

When you look at the cams it should be clear.....
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/01/10 10:40 PM

Yes I have used that tool with great sucess.

Start with the front cam all the way out, and the rear all the way in.

Jim Lusk is dead on.
Posted By: mrob

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/02/10 12:22 PM

I used one to align my Cuda after I rebuilt the front suspension. Jim Lusk describes the steps correctly, but let me add something else. To do it right, you need to use wheel alignment turn plates so that you can smoothly turn the wheel back and forth for the caster measurement. Some people make their own turn plates, but I bought a pair of cheapie plates form Harbor Freight. The turn plates also help the suspension settle. Another thing - make sure that you have the car leveled on the turn plates (more important for camber measurement).
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/02/10 01:32 PM

Made my own turn plates from 4 peices of 14ga steel with grease in between them. They sit flat on the floor making it easy to get the car on them. It also alllows the car to sit level front to rear. I bought my alinement tool from Summit Racing.

Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/02/10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Made my own turn plates from 4 peices of 14ga steel with grease in between then. They sit flat on the floor making it easy to get the car on them. It also alllows the car to sit level front to rear. I bought mine from Summit Racing.

This is a great thread!! Maybe save for the tech archives? I have also read somewhere (maybe here??) someone using vinyl tile squares with grease between them. Smaller targets, I suppose, but use what ya got, I say

Re: Eastwood's fastrax aligment tool - 06/02/10 03:17 PM

thats a really good idea

thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums