Moparts

stock radio volume to low

Posted By: ademon

stock radio volume to low - 05/30/10 08:04 PM

Radio volume was good then all of a sudden its very low, not distorted or anything just low, this is a stock 68 b body radio, single speaker in dash its a replacement speaker from part store i think 4 ohm, was going to get the correct 8 ohm but now i think its to late. anything i can check to pinpoint problem or just upgrade to hidden cd player.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: stock radio volume to low - 06/01/10 10:30 PM

In most cases, when the output transformer burns up as a result of using incorrect speakers, you usually don't get any sound at all . It could be
any of a number of things . If you need us to take care of it, just let us know.

Greg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: stock radio volume to low - 06/01/10 11:03 PM

Might spray the vol control w a shot of tuner cleaner? that's made for getting the static out of dirty contacts. Not positive that that is the prob but I'd try it as a can of that wouldn't be too much.
Posted By: 64physhy

Re: stock radio volume to low - 06/01/10 11:20 PM

I think I found the correct rated speaker at Radio Shack years ago. They were the only place that had "lo-fi" stuff for low wattage radios. Seems like the wiper levers slightly hit the magnet, so i shaved a little off the magnet for clearance. Had it in my '64 with a stock radio for about 10 years and it still works. My volume does drop sometimes and I have to wiggle the knob, but it has nothing to do with the speaker. Probably needs a good cleaning.
© 2024 Moparts Forums