Moparts

440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them

Posted By: moparrulzzz

440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 02:05 AM

Anyone use this vibration damper. SFI approved.
Don't care to hear 440 source bashing just a take on this damper
440 source damper link

THNX!!!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 02:23 AM

I've heard nothing good about fluid type balancers.

I used a professional products powerforce plus SFI dampner on mine.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 02:34 AM

I have one. No complaints but haven't put it on the motor yet. Don't expect a "show" chrome finish - I imagine chrome was cheaper than powdercoat.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 03:17 AM

I have one. It's on the motor. Motor's been dynoed to at least 5200 rpm. Didn't explode.
Motor's in the car, but hasn't been fired since.

Don't know what more to say. Except that the March pulley kit works with it. Crank pulley fits fine in the recess in the damper hub. Same thickness in hub as factory unit. For perfect water pump pulley alignment, I had to put some thin washers behind the WP pulley hub. May have been the WP and WP housing, MP aluminum stuff. Alternator lined up okay.

Attached picture 6006967-Engine-kframe_frontview.jpg

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 03:24 AM

We spun mine to 7400. Any more than that and I would recomend something like an ATI.

Here's a couple pics.

Posted By: 52savoy

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 03:28 AM

Pretty nice looking balancer Bill.. How hard did it go on the crank?

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 03:32 AM

I don't recall having any issues putting it on but we did use a dampner tool to install it so I guess it went on easy.

I can tell you we didn't have to fix any interference issus that I remember.

Only thing to we did was remove all the screws and put Loc Tite on them. Scott says he has seen them back off so he Loc Tites all of them now from the start.
Posted By: Colin Frolick

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/28/10 07:21 PM

i put that damper on my motor. i had to chase all the pulley bolt holes with a tap to make it work, i thought that was lame. the timing marks are a little faint too. "otherwise" it's fine

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 12:52 AM

Quote:

i put that damper on my motor. i had to chase all the pulley bolt holes with a tap to make it work, i thought that was lame. the timing marks are a little faint too. "otherwise" it's fine

Were the threads messed up? I think I would have sent it back if thats the case....
Anyone else have any experince with this damper.
I need one for a 6200 RPM street motor if that helps!
Posted By: sturmenater

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 01:01 AM

I would spend the extra 18 dollars on the profesinal products peice as thats what i bought looks like a quality peice i have not used it yet as im still asembling my engine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Race-SFI-...sQ5fAccessories
Posted By: jb500

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 01:10 AM

I have one and it now makes a great door stop.

It seized up at the half way point on the crank during install. Balancer was heated up and I used plenty of anti-seize. Turns out the ID of the balancer was undersize.

Broke a Snap-on balancer tool trying to get it off. Had to disassemble engine and put the crank on a mill and make some relief cuts with an end mill. A little heat and a new balancer tool got if off.

Of the 440Source stuff I started with in 2006...Rockers,balancer,water pump,starter,pump housing,and distributor hold down. Only the pump housing and distributor hold down are currently on my engine.

The housing is going to be replaced in the next month, so the distributor hold down is the only thing that has lasted. Great stuff!
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 01:34 AM

I'm running the painted version of that damper(I don't see it currently listed on their site), 3k+ miles on it now, so far no problems. No assembly issues with this one.
Posted By: Fastback67

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 01:41 AM

I have one on my 505-6... Zero issues

I'm not much of a Chrome guy, so I don't really care for that Chrome finish, especially when it comes to reading those timing marks. A stick on timing tape will cure that problem easy enough however.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 09:01 AM

Ive had one on my engine for several years. no problems.
Posted By: moparmxz

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 11:30 AM

No experience with the 440 source balancer,but the professional products balancer only lasted one summer for me.About 200 passes and the outer ring was wiggling on the hub.

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 02:48 PM

Thnx for taking a minute to reply to this post guys.. I have a bit of info to chew on..THNX!!!!
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: 440 Source Dampers/Balancer...anyone use them - 05/29/10 10:15 PM

I like the Pioneer balancers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums