Moparts

using a used torque converter??

Posted By: ph23vo

using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 03:29 PM

need a hi stall for my 69 fury [engine has a hot cam of unknows spec] i have an orig 340 hi stall with over 100k miles but trans fluid looked good and i drove car so i know it worked.. what wears out in them? is there a way to ck it out of the car? trans in fury looks to have been rebuilt recently also lmk trans guys dan
Posted By: moper

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 03:54 PM

If it's factory it should have a drain. Drain the old fluid out of it thru a paint strainer. If it's clean and red, and there's no metal in the strainer after, just pre-fill it with a quart of fresh stuff and use it. Be aware the stall will not be what it was with the 340 tho.

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 04:19 PM

yes i know thanks for the advice dan
Posted By: dOc !

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 04:33 PM

Not all OEM TC's had drain-plugs .. most did though. Buying and then using a used converter is TAKING-A-CHANCE. Just like a used cam(a topic I started a bit ago). Draining the ATF and checking-that is a good start but not a guarantee. ALSO ... if the converter is junk .. it could hurt the trans itself.

Bottom line ... it is a gamble.

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 04:52 PM

this is a converter i had in my 70 challenger i drove it about 6 months worked great has sat in garage since late 80,s sealed up so at least i know it did work! dan
Posted By: dOc !

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 06:07 PM

SHOULD BE good-to go !

You should have had one of my full-coverage hub covers to protect the hub and keep all the dust and dirt out.

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 07:23 PM

i do have one but it isnt one of yours doc dan
Posted By: Commando1

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 08:39 PM

Quote:

Be aware the stall will not be what it was with the 340 tho.

Why's that?

Re: using a used torque converter?? - 05/24/10 08:57 PM

383 has more torque.. just pulled it out of storage fluid is bright red so i,m good to go! dan
© 2024 Moparts Forums