Moparts

MSD Ignition Timing

Posted By: speedy515

MSD Ignition Timing - 05/18/10 06:34 PM

I've been trying set initial spark timing with an MSD 6AL box installed. Instead of getting a single timing mark, I get what looks more like a step ladder with 4 marks. I've checked my timing light on other engines and its fine. I've had another light on it and had the same results.

Someone mentioned to me that this is normal, as the MSD box is discharging multiple sparks hence M.S.D.

If this is true, which mark do I use?

or

Is there a way to get a single spark/mark for this purpose?

Thanks
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: MSD Ignition Timing - 05/18/10 07:05 PM

When you raise the RPMs do you get only one timing mark?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: MSD Ignition Timing - 05/18/10 09:25 PM

Quote:

Is there a way to get a single spark/mark for this purpose? Thanks

If you're using a dial back borrow a regular light. If not using a DB check that the light connections are tight/solid. Still no go, I'm out of ideas
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: MSD Ignition Timing - 05/18/10 09:36 PM

Reason I ask this is because with a lopey cam, very low idle, and/or when a timing chain is worn this can be common with some combinations at idle.

The cam will go forward and back on the slack of the chain it has during idle and the timing will bounce up and down off of the balance weights giving you multiple flashes at different spots. If raising the rpms takes away the multiple flashes at different spots, this is what is happening.
Posted By: Alikazam

Re: MSD Ignition Timing - 05/18/10 10:29 PM

I run an MSD ignition and have no trouble with a single timing event trigger on my timing light on my 360 at idle. I suggest you check it out at higher rpm as stated (about 2500-3000) and make sure it is going well. I've used dial/advance timing light as well as a standard timing light without trouble.
Posted By: speedy515

Re: MSD Ignition Timing - 05/19/10 05:14 PM

When you raise the RPMs do you get only one timing mark?

Quote:

Reason I ask this is because with a lopey cam, very low idle, and/or when a timing chain is worn this can be common with some combinations at idle.

The cam will go forward and back on the slack of the chain it has during idle and the timing will bounce up and down off of the balance weights giving you multiple flashes at different spots. If raising the rpms takes away the multiple flashes at different spots, this is what is happening.

I haven't tried raising the RPM, your description above matches my engine. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks

Speedy
© 2024 Moparts Forums