Moparts

Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing)

Posted By: BDW

Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/17/10 11:49 PM

I put new ESPO springs in about a yr ago. They have always squeaked from day 1. It's really driving me crazy. It seems like the majority of the noise is coming from the frt bushing area.

FSM says to NOT lube rubber bushings (which they are).

Any ideas?

Thx
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 12:46 AM

Quote:

FSM says to NOT lube rubber bushings (which they are).Any ideas?

(1) they mean oil/grease (2) some rubber lube of some sort would take care of it, not sure exactly what's available but not a critical area (ex for the noise of course)
Posted By: 69DodgeCharger

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 09:48 AM

I've soaked the bushings with dishsoap and then rinsed them off with good results before.
Posted By: BigTerry

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 10:18 AM

silicone spray might work
Posted By: macmic87

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 10:52 AM

just a thought, loosen all the mounting hardware and with the weight of the car on the ground (not jacked up with the suspension hanging) tighten it back up.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 12:37 PM

An old car dealers service department trick: Sqirt it with automatic transmission fluid. Never seen it fail.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 09:50 PM

I called ESPO and she said she had NEVER heard of the rubber bushing squeaking. Said it was impossible because there are 2 metal sleeves, inner where the bolt passes through, and the outer which is pressed in the leaf spring.

I'm going to take a closer look to see if the metal is actually moving. It's definitely coming from the area.

I can't tell you how annoying it is. I understand now when people say to stay away from poly (mine are rubber).

Thx
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 10:13 PM

Quote:

just a thought, loosen all the mounting hardware and with the weight of the car on the ground (not jacked up with the suspension hanging) tighten it back up.

I have to agree with this,if you tighten everything up with the cars weight off the ground,and then lower the car onto the ground,the weight of the car will torque the bushings and they will squeak. Loosen everything up lower the car until all the weight is on the suspension and retighten. Your squeaking should go away.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree with this,if you tighten everything up with the cars weight off the ground,and then lower the car onto the ground,the weight of the car will torque the bushings and they will squeak. Loosen everything up lower the car until all the weight is on the suspension and retighten. Your squeaking should go away.

Start with this first before you go and lube anything.
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/18/10 10:58 PM

There are NO moving parts when a rubber bushing is working correctly so there`s no possibility of squeaking. Either you have metal to metal contact somewhere or the thru bolt is loose allowing the inner sleeve to move on the bolt.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Squeaking is driving me crazy (leaf spring bushing) - 05/19/10 09:37 AM

Quote:

I called ESPO and she said she had NEVER heard of the rubber bushing squeaking.

Might be a defective spring- I got one from a vendor last year where the bushing just fell out of the spring! You could push it out with your fingers.

The eye had incorrect fit due to shot blasting pieces being trapped between the end of the eye and the spring. Even after removing them there was not enough tension to hold the factory bushing in place.

I "fixed" it by installing poly bushings since the vendor would not take the springs back unless it was on my dime, a story for another day...
© 2024 Moparts Forums