Moparts

Shielding gas comparison

Posted By: FarDarter

Shielding gas comparison - 08/08/08 06:00 PM

I've been doing bodywork on my Dart and MIG welding in a bunch of patches. I'm a new welder and just got my first refill of gas. The stuff I've been using was pure argon and I refilled with C25. The new stuff seems to be working a lot better for me. I did most of a patch last night and didn't have any burn through incidents at all. Usually I'll get at least one on a patch. I'm using .023 wire.

Does anyone have a thought on what gas is best for doing sheetmetal work? My experience is very limited and I'm curious about some of you seasoned experts.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Shielding gas comparison - 08/08/08 06:20 PM

100% Ar is used for aluminum work in most cases. You really don't want to use it when migging mild steel, especially thin panels, IMHO.

Ar usually creates a deep, narrow penetrating weld. Not what you need when working on sheetmetal. The C25 mix is better as it will allow you good arc quality, easier puddle control, less spatter.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Shielding gas comparison - 08/08/08 07:14 PM

Quote:

100% Ar is used for aluminum work in most cases. You really don't want to use it when migging mild steel, especially thin panels, IMHO.

Ar usually creates a deep, narrow penetrating weld. Not what you need when working on sheetmetal. The C25 mix is better as it will allow you good arc quality, easier puddle control, less spatter.

An argon mix works best with thin sheet metal (Mig Mix Gold is one of the trade names I've seen).
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Shielding gas comparison - 08/08/08 11:38 PM

yep you want a 75% argon 25% CO2 mix for mild steel
Posted By: jcc

Re: Shielding gas comparison - 08/09/08 12:49 AM

, been using it for 20 years
© 2024 Moparts Forums