Moparts

B Body rear defogger defroster

Posted By: tt455

B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 02:15 AM

My 70 Road Runner has this option.What I thought was a speaker is really the fan.I'm missing the hose and duct work,but have the bezel/deflecter that sits on top of the package tray.I know the hose is available,but is the duct available?

Did these cars come with 2 rear speakers or just 1 if there was no rear defogger ordered,and if so was the rear speaker put where the fan is? If there where 2 speakers did one sit vertical and the other horizontal?
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 03:31 AM

I can't answer all your questions. I took the entire unit out of my '72 Charger and replaced it with speakers on both sides. I left the louver in but the killer Alpine stereo system is way more fun.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 03:59 AM

my 70 dodge is originally a coronet440 that had a 318. it has the rear defogger and the speaker openings are as you said, one is horizontal and the other is vertical. hope this helps.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 04:21 AM

Cars with dual rear speakers had a special housing that mounted one speaker plus the blower motor.

Jim at JS may have or know of sources for parts;

Attached picture 5986742-JSRestorationsOnLineBusinessCard1.jpg
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 04:22 AM

Quote:

My 70 Road Runner has this option.What I thought was a speaker is really the fan.I'm missing the hose and duct work,but have the bezel/deflecter that sits on top of the package tray.I know the hose is available,but is the duct available?

Did these cars come with 2 rear speakers or just 1 if there was no rear defogger ordered,and if so was the rear speaker put where the fan is? If there where 2 speakers did one sit vertical and the other horizontal?

Does yours also have two speaker holes? IIRC my 68 RR had 2 spkrs but no defogger. OTOH, my Challenger does have the defogger AND two speakers. The speaker holes are for 6 x 9s but smaller speakers were installed, and the defogger in the center is a rectangle hole near the inside edge. It just doesn't seem like they would have manufactured two or even three different package shelf body panels when they could just cover it with the finish panel for the ordered options. I could be wrong though. I'm wrong a lot. Just ask my wife.
Edit: See I told you. Folks have responded while I was writing mine with info contradicting my suspicions.
Posted By: broncobra

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 04:30 AM

My 67 Coronet has three 6x9 holes spaced across the rear tray. I was going to put speakers in each of the outside holes, and a vent for a subwoofer in the middle. Now, I'm thinking of a defroster in the middle. Would it be hard to adapt a setup? Thanks ahead of time.

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 05:16 PM

Looking underneath it has another horizontal opening for a speaker on the left side.I could just use the two provided by taking out the blower,but it does function with both speeds so I kinda want to keep it.The other thing I noticed was somebody already cut two extra holes side by side just below the fan deflecter but in the metal not the package tray itself.Sucks because it's a little bit of a butcher job.Hadn't noticed it before,but just might have to utilize it if no other options.I don't really want to cut through the package tray,looks to be original and don't know if you can get a tray with the deflector cutout.
Posted By: A38s!

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 05:32 PM

Quote:

Cars with dual rear speakers had a special housing that mounted one speaker plus the blower motor.

Fuselage C-body example:

Attached picture 5987497-100_0038.jpg

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 05:34 PM

Probably same, or adaptable, to B just need the flush 6x9 area. 3 sheetmetal screw flanges, one offset.

Attached picture 5987500-100_0039.jpg
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 05:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Fuselage C-body example:

AFAIK, that adapter will work in any application that has a 6" x 9" speaker hole. The only one that might be a problem is if the 6" x 9" hole you want to use it on goes lengthwise to the car instead of side-to side. You may run into a clearance problem fitting in the speaker & the defog motor.

I believe there was only one adapter made, and it worked in all bodies.

I have two rear speakers and a rear defog in my 73 Challenger, and that is the same adaptor that I used. By the way, my car didn't come with the stereo speakers or the defog, but I added them both...

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 08:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fuselage C-body example:

AFAIK, that adapter will work in any application that has a 6" x 9" speaker hole. The only one that might be a problem is if the 6" x 9" hole you want to use it on goes lengthwise to the car instead of side-to side. You may run into a clearance problem fitting in the speaker & the defog motor.

I have two rear speakers and a rear defog in my 73 Challenger, and that is the same adaptor that I used. By the way, my car didn't come with the stereo speakers or the defog, but I added them both...

All perhaps until '74. I understand the OP was referring to b-bodies, but here's the housing, adapter and trim bezel for my '74 Challenger FWIW.

Attached picture 5987702-DSCN1868.JPG

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 08:08 PM

also package shelf layout. Slot in center is the defogger opening. Still learning to read a build sheet but I don't see anything on it about a radio. It had an aftermrkt unit when my dad bought it in '75 but the wires I pulled out don't look like a factory install. Perhaps a dealer installed thing?? Which would mean there would have to be two speaker holes just in case...

Attached picture 5987704-DSCN1867.JPG
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fuselage C-body example:

All perhaps until '74. I understand the OP was referring to b-bodies, but here's the housing, adapter and trim bezel for my '74 Challenger FWIW.

Scott,

Not sure what you have there, as I've never seen one, but as you mentioned, it looks to be an over-the-parts-counter dealer add-on. That adaptor would not accomodate a 6" x 9" speaker and a defog blower motor.

My 73 Challenger metal package shelf is just like your 74, with the two 6" x 9" speaker holes and the center elongated defogger exhaust outlet. If you want to use two 6" x 9" speakers and a factory defogger, you will need the adaptor pictured in the earlier post.... Allen

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 11:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fuselage C-body example:

Scott,

Not sure what you have there, as I've never seen one, but as you mentioned, it looks to be an over-the-parts-counter dealer add-on. That adaptor would not accomodate a 6" x 9" speaker and a defog blower motor.

My 73 Challenger metal package shelf is just like your 74, with the two 6" x 9" speaker holes and the center elongated defogger exhaust outlet. If you want to use two 6" x 9" speakers and a factory defogger, you will need the adaptor pictured in the earlier post.... Allen

Sorry for the confusion but the dealer "add-on" I was referring to was the radio and speakers. The defogger and housing was I posted IS the defogger from my Challenger. It's stock and bolts to the center slot in the second picture, The fan housing and motor (which has been removed) is identical to the one A38s posted. Its adapter housing, # 2607754 is in deed a Mopar part for defogger duct '67 - '78 according to the search results I got. The slot they bolt to is die cut just like the speaker holes and I believe the defogger is listed on the build sheet. Here's another shot of the adapter duct. The blower fan assembly bolts to the under side of the package shelf just to the right of the duct and is connected to the blower by a flex hose (pretty much as they are shown in my first pic)

Attached picture 5988021-carpart.jpg
Posted By: rrunner

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/17/10 11:14 PM

The bezel is the same for a 69-70 c body.
I had two complete set ups one for a 68-69 b body, perfect working, and a 69-70 c body. Seemed nobody wanted either. Had them for years before selling it all at a show for $50
May be hard to find this stuff as most of them might have ended up in the garbage as mine almost did.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/18/10 02:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, there is only one offset speaker rear defog adapter. I don't think all car were availible with them. Like I don't think A-bodies had them. I put one in my 68 Barracuda Coupe that I added rear defog and dual speakers. I drilled and hole in the package tray and one of the support feet is suspended in mid air. It's real tight.

I don't think the offset adapters came out until the late 60's or 1970 at the latest.

The defog unit off of Scott Carl's Challenger just didn't have dual rear speakers orginally so no need for the offset adapter. And the assembly pictured doesn't show the speaker hole to blower housing adapter and doesn't show the motor.

If you have a dealer installed defog unit for a car without a rear speaker you get a speaker grille and oval bezel to go over the hole you cut in the non speaker package tray. Same bezel for dealer installed rear speaker/fader, at least in 70-71 E-bodies.

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/18/10 04:26 AM

Quote:

The defog unit off of Scott Carl's Challenger just didn't have dual rear speakers orginally so no need for the offset adapter. And the assembly pictured doesn't show the speaker hole to blower housing adapter and doesn't show the motor.

Mine wouldn't have had the offset. You may have missed my earlier posts. I DO have 2 speaker holes AND the center slot for the defogger vent.
See post pick of package shelf. First pic shows blower housing but I took the motor out because the squirrel cage was rubbing inside. Its a WIP The whole unit could indeed be a dealer item as there is no code for rear wndw dfggr on the broadcast sheet. The PNs are, however, in deed Mopar #s and the blower housing, motor and (I assume)heating element are the same as in A38s pic.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/18/10 05:00 AM

I pulled one that was in a car with factory dual rear speakers and it had the defogger mounted to the X shaped brace behind the rear set. Looked stock to me.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/18/10 05:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine wouldn't have had the offset. You may have missed my earlier posts. I DO have 2 speaker holes AND the center slot for the defogger vent.
See post pick of package shelf. First pic shows blower housing but I took the motor out because the squirrel cage was rubbing inside. Its a WIP The whole unit could indeed be a dealer item as there is no code for rear wndw dfggr on the broadcast sheet. The PNs are, however, in deed Mopar #s and the blower housing, motor and (I assume)heating element are the same as in A38s pic.

Yes, I agree it's a Mopar unit. Just noting the pieces not shown in the picture for those not familiar with the units or looking to purchase one.

I was referring to the cardboard package tray not being cut out. All the cars have speaker and defog holes cutout on the body whether they got those options or not. But if you got a dealer installed defog they would cut your non speaker cardboard package tray and use a screen and bezel over the speaker hole. If it was factory installed they would use a speaker type cardboard package tray than had holes in it already to suck in air for the defog and not use a screen and bezel like the dealer installed units.

The thing that looks like a heater element is the blower motor resistor. I thought that too, but someone of Moparts pointed out the p/n name in the parts book. and when you uses it, it does't provide any significant heat to the air passing by it. You see the same type thing on some Mopar front heater/defrost motors.

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/20/10 02:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fuselage C-body example:

There's one like this on ebay now.It wont fit the B body as I asked the owner the dimensions of the duct.There is 10" between the holes of the duct,and my bezel has 15" between the studs.The bezel on the RR is up close to the glass.So the search goes on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...RTQ:MOTORS:1123
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/20/10 02:36 AM

Quote:

The thing that looks like a heater element is the blower motor resistor.

Yes it's a resistor, not a heater element(although that would have been more useful I bet). Some have the resistor, most don't. I have one of each sitting around. Did the resistor-equiped ones have a 2-speed switch for the defogger or where they just setup with the resistor to lower fan speed to keep the noise down?

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/20/10 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it's a resistor, not a heater element(although that would have been more useful I bet). Some have the resistor, most don't. I have one of each sitting around. Did the resistor-equiped ones have a 2-speed switch for the defogger or where they just setup with the resistor to lower fan speed to keep the noise down?

Mine just has on/off.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/20/10 05:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

resistor units are since 70... to set a lower speed from the switch

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/20/10 06:43 AM

Quote:

Makes sense. This particular unit is from a 72 Polara, 2-speed switch (with resistor). 6x9 holes run side-side (thought they all did), with the blower oriented further into the trunk.

With 3 mounting points, the 3rd is offset 1.5".

Attached picture 5992871-100_0045.jpg

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 05/20/10 06:51 AM

Hose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140292441165&viewitem=

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 06/01/10 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mine just has on/off.

I was wrong Just looked again. It does, in deed, have a hi/lo switch.
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 06/01/10 10:41 PM

My '73 Roadrunner had one, it was missing. I am replacing it, and running one speaker front, one speaker rear. I found the parts locally. The car sounds so good I could care less about tunes, and I figure with A/C that rear fan moving air around will help make the inside like a freezer! My other cars have tunes, so I thought it would be cool to make it as original as I can. Doubt I could hear the AM stereo over the engine anyway, unless the car is parked............
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 06/01/10 10:44 PM

I have a question, what was used as a bezel or screen? The donor car I got the unit from had nothing over the intake.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 06/02/10 04:51 AM

71/74 Bs are without anything but the speaker grill cuts on the tray package. Not bezel or screen
Posted By: dougc426

Re: B Body rear defogger defroster - 06/04/10 02:17 AM

hey guys,I have a 1969 dodge charger.It came with a rear speaker system(but)not with dual rear speakers,The way i read the 1969 parts book it came with such a system.But the housing you show will not fit a charger with dual rear speakers as the hump under the package tray is in the way.so i have a housing that came from a c body that i will modify to fit,any help out there guys???...Thanks...Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums