Moparts

highbeam problem

Posted By: Kirby

highbeam problem - 05/14/10 01:03 AM

My A12 Bee's headlights go completely out after they've been on for a while, kick the switch to lows, and they come back on (lows that is) I know that means either the headlight switch, or the dimmer switch is getting hot, or has poor connections. Where is the best place to start?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 01:32 AM

Start with the headlight grounds on the radiator support. Then check the floor switch for corrosion. Then the only thing left is the headlight switch.
Posted By: BDW

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 01:53 AM

Same problem here, please post what you find.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 04:46 AM

Quote:

Where is the best place to start?

dimmer sw
Posted By: Evil Monkey

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 10:55 AM

It wouldn't be the headlight switch, because that runs both high and low beams, so it wouldn't matter if you switch to lows when it goes out - they would be out also. I think (but I'm not positive) that the ground would be the same for both high and low beams. If so, then the same thing applies - it wouldn't matter if you switched to low beams, they would still be out.

I'm thinking you have a dimmer switch, or a bad connection, which would most likely be at the dimmer switch, or maybe at the bulkhead connector.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 11:02 AM

Headlight switch is very likely cause. (my 79 warlock did that after install of 4 hella bulbs. High beams on for a few minutes, went out, clicked back to low beams, came back on. New switch fixed it. I think there is breaker in switch.)
Posted By: Crunchy_Frog

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 12:59 PM

I would check the dimmer switch first. Do a simple feel test. Turn the headlights on high and touch the DS (use back of fingers). If it gets hot, contacts have hi resistance. Power = current squared x resistance. Easiest thing to get to first.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 02:31 PM

Dimmer switch. Cheap, easy to change. Clean the socket contacts that it plugs into and put dielectric grease in there to protect it from corrosion. It sits in a bad place for moisture.
Craig
Posted By: Chilort

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 07:05 PM

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 10:11 PM

Can you buy new dimmer switches?
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 10:34 PM

Yep...

Attached picture 5982811-dimmerswitch.JPG

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 10:57 PM

Thx, didn't know that.

Kind of surprised mine is flakey, I have my headlights on relays, so there's not really any current going through the switch or dimmer.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: highbeam problem - 05/14/10 11:07 PM

Because the switch is under the carpet and moisture can get to it.
Posted By: Chilort

Re: highbeam problem - 05/15/10 02:14 AM

Mopar used the same dimmer switch for several decades. My '68 and '83 trucks use the same thing.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: highbeam problem - 05/15/10 05:33 AM

Quote:

Mopar used the same dimmer switch for several decades. My '68 and '83 trucks use the same thing.

1881938 Mopar number. Still available.

Re: highbeam problem - 05/16/10 03:11 PM

Picked up a dimmer switch at AutoZone, $7.

Replacement is a little taller compared to the original, but it fixed my problem.

Thx!
© 2024 Moparts Forums