Moparts

Shimming Rockers

Posted By: Wolfe440

Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 03:33 PM

Is it normal on most roller rockers that they require shims to keep them centered over the valve stem? Are their rockers available that have the precision to not require this? And if so which ones? Thanks.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 03:44 PM

What rockers do you have , or do you plan on buying ? There is going to be a spacer between each pair of rockers , shims may or may not be required to make the alignment correct.

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 03:48 PM

The rockers I have are Cat and going straight in the garbage. I'm shopping around and would like to bolt on, adjust, and not go through the shimming I had to do with the ones I took off.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 03:51 PM

Anytime you have a custom engine with milling on heads and block etc, you will have to shim the rockers to achieve proper geometry.

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 03:52 PM

You are lucky that those POS rockers didn't come apart .

Get the comp pro magnums
Posted By: dmerc

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:00 PM

Quote:

You are lucky that those POS rockers didn't come apart .

Get the comp pro magnums

I've got a brand new set of those and I just can't bring myself to throw them away. But I should.

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:00 PM

That's what I'm hearing. I been looking at the pro comp and its top of my choices. I'm ready to spend some coin. From the info so far I see shimming is inescapable. I was also considering Hughes. Are they worthy?

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:10 PM

Quote:

Anytime you have a custom engine with milling on heads and block etc, you will have to shim the rockers to achieve proper geometry.

WRONG, cutting the heads and the block does NOTHING to valve to rocker GEOMETRY , you have to cut the ROCKER STANDS to affect that.

Shimming rocker shafts because of aggressive head and block milling is the WRONG way to correct for the problem created which is PUSHRODS that are now TOO LONG ...

The shimming the OP is talking about is shimming BETWEEN the rockers to center the rocker tips on the valve stems .

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:16 PM

I would have to agree with that. And in my case the block deck is stock, and the heads are Edelbrock never shaved. The Cats had .50+ left to right slop, I was hoping to purchase some new ones where that does not need to be addressed.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:25 PM

What cam are you running?

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:26 PM

564/257. Its a 440 source stroker to 528 bottom end.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:35 PM

..a 1/2" slop?
..Crane tech recomend you shim to .013 clearance

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:39 PM

Sorry, .050 slop. I have it down to approx .015 with shims galore.
What about Hughes, I have been hearing good things?

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:46 PM

...O.K. now that they are correctly shimmed, what is the problem?

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:49 PM

I'm ready to trash the cat rockers. I was looking to make a upgrade. I was wondering if any rockers were offered that were precision enough to not need shimming.

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 04:56 PM

..i have an older set of Crane Gold 1.5 and originally assembled them without shims.there is some slop and they are a little noisy.
.i don't think it matters for normal driving..it's just annoying.
i recently got a quantity of shims from Crane and wonder if installing them will make them a little quieter?

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 05:04 PM

The noise of the cats is why I hate them, shimming helped. Also the tubes the push rods travel through the Edelbrock heads is not exactly generous. I was either rubbing or it looked very close until I shimmed. I just wondered if the finer of rockers made out there fit without shimming the slop.

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/12/10 05:14 PM

..thanks Wolf,that's what i was wondering.
..i have heard that all roller rockers are a little noisy...say 'kinda like a sewing machine..
hope some other guys will chime in on this...

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/24/10 02:42 AM

bump
Posted By: ahy

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/24/10 02:57 AM

Shims on the shaft are normally necessary with custom parts (rockers, holddowns ect.) to line up the rockers and valve stem heads. I had to do it and lots of others have as well.

That said, there are good reasons not to use the cat rockers from what I've heard. The "pro magnums" sound like a good choice.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/24/10 07:50 AM

get shims from Hughes , Mancini , etc..

you want .015 to .030 clearance. Keep in mind some of the hold downs can be moved a little to change clearance.
Posted By: moper

Re: Shimming Rockers - 05/24/10 11:31 AM

If the question i sdo any come without shims, the answer is some come with springs but shims are the correct way to center the rocker. The better sets of rockers still use shims. It's part of the engine building process on a performance engine.

I'll also ad to JohnRRs answer on shimming the rocker shafts to correct the geometry that the valve job is the only thing on a saddle type shaft rocker that affects geometry. Well, sometimes different rocker ratios and manufacturers might a little too, but it's basically the valve job.
© 2024 Moparts Forums