Moparts

Getting white lettering off tire?

Posted By: ademon

Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 12:59 AM

looking to remove the white on the lettering of my tires, they are outlined, what works best?
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 01:04 AM

On most tires I've seen you can't. The whole sidewall of the tire is white, and then a layer of black rubber is put over it. Just turn the letters inwards.
Posted By: dave571

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 01:06 AM

usually the white lettering is white rubber embossed into the rubber itself. If you try to scrape or take it off with abrasive, you usually end up with more white showing than you had before.

I've seen guys use dyes, and markers to delete/cover them, but depending on the tire, I don't think you can remove it.
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 01:36 AM

Take the tires off the rim and remount them with the letters in.

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 01:48 AM

ya i was going to turn them to back side out until i seen how ugly the backs looked, maybe i'll try black dye that will soak in
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 02:13 AM

they use to make a black tire dye, we use to use it cover white walls, but don't know if it is still made, I think it was called Tire Black
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 02:13 AM

Just clean the sidewall with hot soapy water,rinse,dry,then use Rustoleum Flat Black Aerosol-can paint.
Don't try to cover the lettering in one spray!
Hold the can 8-12"away from the tire,spray clockwise without re-tracing your spray.
Let it dry for 30 minutes
The letters will only look misted.
Do not worry about paint getting on the black sidewalls.
Repeat this for a total of 3 coats,and you will be amazed.
After 72 hours you can apply your favorite tire dressing on them(which should be ArmorAll matt or gloss.)
Hope this helps!
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 02:18 AM

I've tried it both ways over the years. The dyes usually fade after a while. If the insides are dirty due to road grime and such, there are tire cleaners that will give more lasting results than the white letter dye. Just depends on how much time you want to spend and when. "Pay me now,or pay me later" type of thing

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 02:28 PM

i just hit it with a black sharpie, looks fine not sure if it will hold up but it doesn't rub off, plus easy to touch up.
Posted By: rss

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 07:09 PM

Why would you want to???

Blackwall tires

Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 07:13 PM

belt sander...
Posted By: burdar

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 07:26 PM

Quote:

After 72 hours you can apply your favorite tire dressing on them(which should be ArmorAll matt or gloss.)

I thought ArmorAll was a no no.

Doesn't it turn the rubber brown?
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 07:32 PM

I used black vinyl spray paint. It got the job done if you don't like it you just scrub off the paint.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Getting white lettering off tire? - 05/10/10 10:32 PM

How to make white side wall out of raised white letters:

Quote:

belt sander...

© 2024 Moparts Forums