Moparts

need some help

Posted By: Mr. Mojo Risen

need some help - 05/08/10 11:39 PM

my 68 dart has been sittting in the garage for about three years. well i tried to push it out today and it wouldnt move. i had it in neutral and the emergency brake wasnt on. i jacked it up and the drivers side wheel spun both directions but the passengers side was locked up. do you guys think the rearend is screwed up or maybe my brake is just locked up?
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: need some help - 05/08/10 11:56 PM

Brakes can seize from sitting, but rearend, not likely
Posted By: terzmo

Re: need some help - 05/09/10 12:16 AM

Brakes rust...
Posted By: stumpy

Re: need some help - 05/09/10 12:28 AM

If it was parked with the emergency brake on the cable may be rusted in place. You can spray the cable housing with PB blaster and free it up.
Posted By: runinonmt

Re: need some help - 05/09/10 10:45 AM

Happened on bro in law's Roadrunner. Rusted drum. Took off the wheel and beat the (brake)drum with a dead blow hammer.
Ron
Posted By: macmic87

Re: need some help - 05/09/10 12:27 PM

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: need some help - 05/09/10 03:35 PM

I'd spoon the linings back and or use a bar inbeween/thru the studs to lever it loose/get it to rotate (protect the threads w extra lug nuts). You can hit the drum around the center register w a hammer/drift and or pry appropriately around the drum lip to break it loose but I try to use pry bars/bfh's as a last resort.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: need some help - 05/10/10 03:40 AM

I have a Coronet 8 3/4 in my Duster. The oil seal was a POS and allowed gear oil to seep past. The oil leaked into the brakes and congealed to the point where the wheel was hard to spin. My symptoms were similar to yours. I had to replace the shoes and clean everything with solvent. Its all okay now since I replaced the oil seals and foam flange gaskets.
Posted By: Mr. Mojo Risen

Re: need some help - 05/11/10 12:19 AM

thanks fellas
© 2024 Moparts Forums