Moparts

upgrade to toyota alternator

Posted By: cudasam

upgrade to toyota alternator - 05/07/10 07:21 PM

I have a challenger and have replaced my original alternator with a nippondenso out of an 88 toyota forerunner. I ran the sense wire to my starter relay, but it is a closed circuit and is draining my battery, Does the alternator have a short, or does the sense wire have to be connected to a switched terminal?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: upgrade to toyota alternator - 05/07/10 08:00 PM

sensing wire should be key on.
you should be able to tap off the same line that the original vr was linked up to. Blue I think.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: upgrade to toyota alternator - 05/07/10 08:46 PM

Double check your wiring instructions. The Denso alternators in the kit I make use an ignition wire which is keyed. The sense wire is always hot as is the power wire.

http://www.arengineering.com/alternatorbracket/ND_bracket/denso.html

Re: upgrade to toyota alternator - 05/08/10 03:40 AM

Yes,I think this is correct. Thank you very much. !!!

Re: upgrade to toyota alternator - 05/08/10 03:44 AM

I think the sense wire on my challenger has to be keyed on. I originally hooked it up to the starter relay(always hot), but when I did this, my battery was draining when the car was sitting. I took the negative terminal off the battery and put a tester between the terminal and the post, and was discharging 11.67 volts. I unhooked the sense wire and it dropped to a .01 volts. Thanks for the info on the kits !!
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: upgrade to toyota alternator - 05/08/10 12:00 PM

The owner of the Dart I purchased made the same mistake and it drains the battery if parked a long time.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: upgrade to toyota alternator - 02/27/11 07:06 AM

So you take the wire going into the old VR and run it to the sense wire of the denso unit?

Will your old ammeter work?

Need to know I'm going to dry run this setup in my car to test it out before I run it in the rebuilt motor.

Attached picture 6498987-2_25_11Sm19.JPG
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: upgrade to toyota alternator - 02/27/11 08:19 PM

Bump. Need help on this.
© 2024 Moparts Forums