Moparts

Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi?

Posted By: 4boxers4

Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 01:43 AM

In a discussion about the hemi used in top fuel, my friend said no parts from an OEM Hemi will 'fit' the Top Fuel Hemi. I thought that some would (but obviously for fitment only). Am I wrong? Anyone know specifics or have links to cool sights on this topic, or on what will or won't fit, please?
Thanks!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 02:00 AM

There are probably a "few" items which would still fit but after 45 years of use in top fuel the original motor design has been tweeked for the purpose.

The distributor would probably fit. Timing cover. Oil pump. Oil pan. They're dry blocks so there are no waterpump provisions.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 02:12 AM

They share the same bolt patterns, but's that's about all.

I have 2 complete fresh long blocks laying around, TAD motor but very simalar .

A pair of BAE billet heads all fresh with new titaninum valves and valve springs, 10K RPM capable.

All the fixens to go with it,

I have rebuilt these motors dozens of times, they sit with new internals ready for battle.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 11:02 AM

Depends what technology level you are talking about. 40 years ago I would venture a guess that almost everything fit as the only components available were stock parts. As time went on and the aftermarket started producing parts, I would think there would have been less and less compatibility with OEM. Just my .

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 11:33 AM

Quote:

Depends what technology level you are talking about. 40 years ago I would venture a guess that almost everything fit as the only components available were stock parts. As time went on and the aftermarket started producing parts, I would think there would have been less and less compatibility with OEM. Just my .

exactly...
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 01:23 PM

Well it sounds like some parts will bolt on so his "assuming chevy" friend is incorrect.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 02:05 PM

Crank shafts and some rods depending if the use 2.375 or 2.20 bearing rods. heads are the same bolt pattern and so on.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 03:36 PM

Even though the Top fuel hemis are not 100% intechangable with a passenger car hemi those engines share a hell of alot more with the street hemi than with an LS-6 454 or a 427. Ask you buddy how come the Chevy top fuel cars do not run a variation of a 427 or 454.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 03:58 PM

Quote:

Crank shafts and some rods depending if the use 2.375 or 2.20 bearing rods. heads are the same bolt pattern and so on.

The question I would pose is "What parts WON'T bolt on? Pistons are different..... thats about it. Not long ago they specified stock intake rockers that would break off in a backfire or hydro lock condition.

Its a bored and stroked 426 hemi made out of aluminum.
What dimensions on the block won't allow stock components?

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 04:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The question I would pose is "What parts WON'T bolt on? Pistons are different..... thats about it. Not long ago they specified stock intake rockers that would break off in a backfire or hydro lock condition.

Its a bored and stroked 426 hemi made out of aluminum.
What dimensions on the block won't allow stock components?

No way are they running stock rockers, with Nitro? Heck even the heads are different that won't allow stock rockers. BTW a new set of rockers are close to 5 grand, there not stock.

And the OP didn't say anything about chevys...
Posted By: RV2

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 04:56 PM

Its not stock rocker arms they are running but on the exhaust side they do not run roller tip rockers.

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 05:02 PM

Quote:

Its not stock rocker arms they are running but on the exhaust side they do not run roller tip rockers.

That's correct, they have to be really strong to open the valves with nitro. And do you know what would happen if the rocker"broke off"?
Posted By: RV2

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 05:04 PM

KABOOM!!!!!!
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 05:52 PM

Quote:

I have rebuilt these motors dozens of times, they sit with new internals ready for battle.

So how many beers do they put in the gray cooler before heading into battle
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 07:39 PM

I have a gun drilled crank bolt on my street Hemi that came from a top fuel car!

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 08:23 PM

Quote:

I have a gun drilled crank bolt on my street Hemi that came from a top fuel car!

Me too, the reason it's drilled is so the socket will stay on the bolt. I put one on my 440.

Here's what the socket looks like. It's old school really. Nowadays we use a PSI reinforcement down there on the crank with a titanimun hub so it won't weld to the crank. Like in my picture above.
Posted By: 4boxers4

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 08:31 PM

My buddy is a Furd fan! I am smack talkin' for fun but I had heard enough of "the new Mustang beats the hemi Challenger" blah, blah...
And the old Hemi isn't related to the Top Fuel at all...blah, blah! Thanks guys!

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/07/10 08:34 PM

So how many beers do they put in the gray cooler before heading into battle

I'm thinking about 10-12
Posted By: HemiSportFury

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/08/10 01:43 AM

The Donovan 417 as I recall was pretty much a copy of the 392 Hemi and many or most of the parts would interchange. They ran that engine for quite a few years after the 426 Hemi came out before the top fuel cars switched to the 426 derived motor.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/08/10 04:37 AM

many of the external will fit they use a bigger lifter and a differnt cam bearing(size) most of the blower intakes are 10 bolt as compared to 16 bolt
pic of angies 426 (stock bore/stroke)hemi
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Top Fuel Hemi similar to OEM Hemi? - 05/08/10 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's correct, they have to be really strong to open the valves with nitro. And do you know what would happen if the rocker"broke off"?

It would prevent the super charger from "migrating" off the engine when that cylinder stops firing and loads up with fuel pushing it back up the inake??
© 2024 Moparts Forums