Moparts

4-Speed Trans Leak @ Backup Light Switch?

Posted By: stan1970

4-Speed Trans Leak @ Backup Light Switch? - 08/07/08 01:03 AM

Hey Guys,
I have a few small leaks on my 4-speed trans ('70 B-Body). One looks like it might be originating at the Backup Light Switch...

Just wanted to check with you guys to see if this is a possible or common leak area (is there is seal or gasket inside this?). And if so, would the recommended course of action be to replace the entire light switch or are there replacement seals/gaskets?

Thanks a lot!
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: 4-Speed Trans Leak @ Backup Light Switch? - 08/07/08 01:06 AM

I've seen more leaking through the switch than actually leaking at the gasket. Come to think of it, every leak I've had has been right through the switch.

Re: 4-Speed Trans Leak @ Backup Light Switch? - 08/07/08 01:17 AM

Ok, thanks a lot for the info.

Does anyone know if the replacement manual trans backup light switches come with gaskets (if they are needed during replacement?) ?

Also, do I need to drain my trans before removing the old one? Or is the level of this switch "above" the fluid level when the car is sitting flat?

Thanks !
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: 4-Speed Trans Leak @ Backup Light Switch? - 08/07/08 04:11 AM

Quote:

Ok, thanks a lot for the info.

Does anyone know if the replacement manual trans backup light switches come with gaskets (if they are needed during replacement?) ?

Also, do I need to drain my trans before removing the old one? Or is the level of this switch "above" the fluid level when the car is sitting flat?

Thanks !

A reverse switch gasket is usually not included with aftermarket switches.

Park the car on a downslope (or jack up the rear) so most of the fluid flows to the front of the trans when you get around to changing it.

Re: 4-Speed Trans Leak @ Backup Light Switch? - 08/08/08 11:50 PM

Thanks all for the info on this.

Does anyone have a part number for the Backup Light Switch gasket? I have searched online at Napa and Autozone but don't see it there. I'm hoping it's not too rare and can be found locally ...

Thanks guys!
Posted By: dgc333

Re: 4-Speed Trans Leak @ Backup Light Switch? - 08/09/08 04:04 PM

Just fixed a leak through the switch with a new switch. Got mine from Brewers and it was $.95 more for a new gasket.
© 2024 Moparts Forums