Moparts

Converting 4wd 727 to 2wd

Posted By: steeters

Converting 4wd 727 to 2wd - 05/04/10 05:33 AM

I am going to buy an AMC bell pattern TC727 from a 4wd Jeep. My interest is using it as a back up for an AMC Javelin.

I understand that the tailshaft is different, and I've been told that the output shaft is different as well.

I know a little bit about my way around a TF/TC transmission, but what's involved in swapping out the output shaft?
I assume that replacing the tailshaft only involves unbolting the old, and bolting in the new.

Specialized tools required?
full transmission rebuild required?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Converting 4wd 727 to 2wd - 05/04/10 07:03 AM

My understanding is that the output shaft only comes out from the front. You have to pull the trans apart . I had a FREE Motorhome 727 with a fixed yoke and wanted to swap a few parts around. A local trans guy said that the front pump, valve body and everything has to come out. I gave up . I'd sure like to know if he was telling the truth. He liked to drink and sit in his underwear.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Converting 4wd 727 to 2wd - 05/04/10 11:41 AM

he was correct

I have a 727 MH short shaft with bolt on yoke as well

I moved the xmember forward 2" and used it in my 88-440 truck anyways

I will build a drive shaft with the slip yoke in it

done that on a sb 727 short shaft in a 68 Dart as well

just got to watch the tranz mount location,my 1 1/4 ton chassis 727 shorty was 5" from main case

the SB shorty was 7" from the main case like the rest of the 727 long tail shaft trannys

not a big deal if you dont mind the drive shaft build

do you still have it?
Posted By: steeters

Re: Converting 4wd 727 to 2wd - 05/04/10 05:11 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I passed on the purchase after seeing it.

I think I could have handled the swap, but I didn't realize the Jeep guys notched and hacked away at the case to suit their application.
Had a hole for the CPS sensor, had a hole for a relocated vent tube, etc.

I'll stick to the 2wd stuff for now on.

Steve
© 2024 Moparts Forums