Moparts

Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter

Posted By: Slipknot440

Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 01:51 PM

Looking for a new carb for my road runner (specs below, m1 intake single 4). I'm never going to competitively drag race it, but I will drive it like i stole it around town, but also have a 2 year old that I don't need to be standing on the side of the road with if it vapor locks or has any other problems. So my question is do I go for more performance with the Holley DP 750, or do I go with the old reliable Carter 750. I currently have an Eddy 800 that I don't like very much on it (good at high rpm, not all that great around town driving)
Posted By: tripleblackcuda

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 02:09 PM

I like Holleys the best, just seem to be easier to work on, plus, usually most parts stores have parts for them on hand.
Posted By: Not_A_Duster

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 02:15 PM

I prefer holleys, but if it's for a street driven car, I would use a vaccum secondary model like the 3310 or even a street avenger rather than the double pumper. You give up a little straight line performance, but it'll be much better mannered on the street.
Posted By: topside

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 02:49 PM

Hemi RR? Your existing carb may just need some tuning on the needles & springs if you have low vacuum. If you have an AT, a Holley vacuum secondary may need some tuning on the secondary diaphragm to accelerate properly, and a DP (I'd be thinking 850 CFM) will likely need some tuning on the pump shots. Different systems that accomplish the same goal. Changing to a Holley will of course require different fuel plumbing. Need more info on your car to make a better recommendation.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 02:59 PM

If you stay w/ an eddy I wouldn't go down to the 750. Your 800 thunder should be workable. That said a holley is a way better carb w/ more tunability (is that even a word). Anyway a 750HP would be my choice.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 03:06 PM

It's very hard to beat the good old Holley 3310 in 780 or 750 CFM. Just run it as is and do some minor jet changes after a good cycle on the plugs.I still think plug reading is the best way to tune your jetting.
Gus

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 04:53 PM

do I need to change the linkage (auto) or buy an adapter. I've never had a holley on any of my mopars, actually this is my first eddy too.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 05:50 PM

An 800 AVS should be terrific on that car. You would be better off spending a bit of money having an expert tune it for you rather than buying a new carb that will also need tweaking. If you must though, I would try an 850 double pumper on it (you'll still have to tweak the jets and PV IMO).

Sheldon
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/02/10 08:59 PM

Quote:

do I need to change the linkage (auto) or buy an adapter. I've never had a holley on any of my mopars, actually this is my first eddy too.

You can get the lever adapter from Edelbrock and it fits the universal Holley.Mancini or Summit can set you up with the carb and adapter.
Gus
Posted By: 383man

383man - 05/02/10 09:14 PM

I prefer the Holley over the Carter and Eddy carbs in single carb application. But if you have a 500 hp Hemi I would use at least an 850 DP. The 750 will work but that eng will want more carb. Ron
Posted By: joedust451

Re: 383man - 05/02/10 10:40 PM

Quote:

I prefer the Holley over the Carter and Eddy carbs in single carb application. But if you have a 500 hp Hemi I would use at least an 850 DP. The 750 will work but that eng will want more carb. Ron

I agree!
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 01:27 AM

Why not try a tuning kit on the Eddy? Much cheaper than another carb.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 02:09 AM

Quote:

Looking for a new carb for my road runner (specs below, m1 intake single 4). I'm never going to competitively drag race it, but I will drive it like i stole it around town, but also have a 2 year old that I don't need to be standing on the side of the road with if it vapor locks or has any other problems. So my question is do I go for more performance with the Holley DP 750, or do I go with the old reliable Carter 750. I currently have an Eddy 800 that I don't like very much on it (good at high rpm, not all that great around town driving)

What exactly is the eddy doing that you don't like?
Posted By: 440charger500

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 03:37 AM

A hemi with only one carb just doesnt look right. I think it needs two.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 03:39 AM

If anything the 800 eddy may be too small
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 03:44 AM

I've run a bunch of Holley double pumpers and I liked every one of them. Had one Edelbrock 750 and didn't think much of it. I'd go 850DP with that motor.
Posted By: 74chargr

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 03:53 AM

Carter=economy/reliability Holley=Better straight line performance. You never blow out a power valve on a carter. I have one on my 360 and it really sucks. But of course it is pretty beat so I can't really compare that to a new one. There is better fuel mixture on a carter because of the venturi design.

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 02:18 PM

When my engine was dynoed with a 750 DP it made 504 hp with good power and tq through the run, an 850 DP made more power but less consistently, the Eddy made 498 hp but got a little to rich in the top end. Since the eddy has been in the car it doesn't seem to run at low speeds and idle as well as it should, but is great from 2500-5400 rpm. The engine builder was using his carbs for break-in and my carb for final tuning. He suggested the 750, as it is pretty much a stock 426 (as far as bore and stroke) and suggested that the 800 is a little big and the 850 would be too much. With his credentials I would believe anything he says.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 02:46 PM

I'm curious about that. When the hemi's and max wedge engines were produced they had two 600 cfm carter afb carbs on them. I guess I would have to ask if they can handle 1200 total then why would an 850 be too big? I'm not a carb expert so there may be something I'm overlooking. Nice looking ride by the way.
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 02:55 PM

I'd go with a Holley. The double pumpers can be a bit much for regular street use, but that hasn't stopped me from using one. My 440 makes about the same power that you're making and I have an 850 cfm double pumper. If you take this route you may have to jet the carb down a bit from the stock 80/80 jetting.
Good luck.

Re: Honest opinion. Holley DP or Carter - 05/03/10 05:17 PM

interesting update. A friend who just had his 496 stroker with the same carb and same problems just took the pcv line out of the look and cleared up all his issues. Maybe i'll try that when it stops raining and see if maybe that's my issue
© 2024 Moparts Forums