Moparts

70 b body with woodgrain weel

Posted By: yellow70charger

70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/30/07 05:09 PM

question #1 where can i get one restored?
question #2 is the steering column filler piece supposed to be silver or black?
question #3 Does anyone reproduce the horn pad?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/30/07 10:02 PM

1) Doug Lepak http://members.shaw.ca/stwheels/index.htm
2) Silver
3) No not that I'm aware of but nice originals aren't that hard to find..
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/30/07 10:08 PM

3) Yes I have seen it at Carlisle this year.....can't remember the vendor off the top of my head....
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/31/07 12:47 AM

Quote:

question #1 where can i get one restored?

See my signature.

question #2 is the steering column filler piece supposed to be silver or black?

Black for 70.

question #3 Does anyone reproduce the horn pad?

www.automedicsupply.com
Posted By: stwheels

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/31/07 01:07 AM

Quote:

1) Doug Lepak http://members.shaw.ca/stwheels/index.htm

Thanks Randy

yellow70charger, drop me a line so I can send you the questions I need answered to give you a price.

I'm also able to re-plate your spokes if they are rusty, pitted or peeling. This is a picture of a refinished wheel with re-plated spokes in the original satin sheen.

e-mail: stwheels@shaw.ca

Attached picture 3917205-100_1668.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/31/07 01:12 AM

A shot of my wood grain. All drawn by hand.

Attached picture 3917232-100_1687.jpg
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 03:37 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post3846236
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:00 PM

Like most of the rest of my car, I'm likely to tackle the wheel resto for my '70 Bee myself but the outer wheel 'rim' is missing. Is there a source for this part?

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:07 PM

Jeff, if you mean the steel ring, you'll likely have to find one from a donor wheel ... but then you might as well just re-finish the complete wheel.

I'm sure there is some source out there in the manufacturing world but none that I've come across yet.

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:28 PM

Here are a series of photos showing a wheel I recently completed. It also was missing it's outer steel ring but I had a spare one lying around.

This is a crack in the rim and the groove where the ring should be.

Attached picture 3921417-100_1555.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:31 PM

This shot shows how the rim has shrunk and the inner ring no longer fits either.

Attached picture 3921428-100_1556.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:33 PM

This shot shows a test fitting of the outer ring before the repair work is started.

Attached picture 3921431-100_1566.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:38 PM

Next the original groove is filled with resin and then a layer of random weave carbon fiber cloth is applied around the outside of the rim and across any cracks.

2 coats of resin are spread over the carbon fiber building a shell around the wheel. The gaps around and behind the inner ring are also filled so it is no longer loose.

Attached picture 3921443-100_1570.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:39 PM

After sanding the resin smooth the outer ring is test fit again.

Attached picture 3921448-100_1572.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:42 PM

With the outer ring in place I apply resin to build up the rim around it. This ensures the inner and outer rings will have no gaps around or behind them.

Attached picture 3921455-100_1585.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:45 PM

On to the sanding. The resin is filed and sanded down so it leaves the rings flush with the surface of the rim. Nothing will be coming loose on this wheel again.

The inner ring.

Attached picture 3921467-100_1595.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:46 PM

The outer ring.

Attached picture 3921470-100_1599.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:49 PM

Now the rings are masked off and the Brown wood color is airbrushed onto the rim. Once set, I recreate all the wood grain by hand.

Attached picture 3921482-100_1607.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:51 PM

More painting ! Several coats of clear acrylic urethane (Glasurit/BASF brand paints) are sprayed on the rim. This seals the wood graining and the steel rings under a smooth incredibly durable surface.

Attached picture 3921487-100_1658.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 04:54 PM

After the clear sets for a few days I buff down the finish to a satin sheen that duplicates the factory look.

Voila ! Plus I can re-plate the spokes to the proper satin sheen. The wheel pictured has had the spokes re-plated.

Attached picture 3921499-100_1668.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 05:40 PM

Quote:

Jeff, if you mean the steel ring, you'll likely have to find one from a donor wheel ... but then you might as well just re-finish the complete wheel.

I'm sure there is some source out there in the manufacturing world but none that I've come across yet.

So that outer steel ring is basically a 'hoop' with no seam or joint? Guess I will have to start watching for another 'junk' wheel to use for parts. Should probably get my steering wheel parts collection down and make sure I'm not missing other items as well. Nice series of photos Doug.

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 06:02 PM

Thanks Jeff, here is a picture of the ring. It does have a joint so you could possibly have someone make a ring for you out of a strip of stainless the right width. All you need to do is measure the length you'd need to circle the rim and then weld the ends together. A bit of sanding and polishing would make the weld almost, if not completely invisible.

Attached picture 3921669-100_1832.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 06:05 PM

LOL about 2 seconds after I took the last picture "Alley" thought the center of the ring would make a great place to take a nap. Cats ! ya gotta love em !

Attached picture 3921677-100_1833.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 06:30 PM

Quote:

LOL about 2 seconds after I took the last picture "Alley" thought the center of the ring would make a great place to take a nap. Cats ! ya gotta love em !

I'm on vacation today and one of my three cats is lounging on the couch, probably more comfortable than I am at the moment.
Thanks for the pic of that ring, I will either find suitable material to make one or find a replacement.

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 11/01/07 06:49 PM

If I come across another ring you can have it Jeff. This is the only spare I have at the moment.

Hey, don't let the cat hog the couch they can lounge there when you're not home.

Attached picture 3921770-scaled.drunk-cat-couch-potato.jpg

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/19/08 09:56 PM

With another steering wheel thread running, I thought I'd revive this old thread which I had saved in my favorites, since there's a nice series of photos illustrading Doug's process.
Hey Doug since this was originally alive my family has picked up another cat...up to four now.

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 10/20/08 06:53 PM

Quote:

With another steering wheel thread running, I thought I'd revive this old thread which I had saved in my favorites, since there's a nice series of photos illustrating Doug's process.
Hey Doug since this was originally alive my family has picked up another cat...up to four now.

Jeff, you are a glutton for punishment !!!

The most we've ever had at one time is 2 and that can be challenging enough. We recently moved 38 blocks West of our old home and one of our cats has since gone back there 6 times. It usually takes her 3 days and she has to cross 2 major roads so I'm hoping she learned how to look both ways before crossing.

As a matter of fact I just got a call from our old neighbor so I'm just heading out the door to pick her up and bring her home ... again. Here Smurf !

Attached picture 4762286-Smurfstretching.jpg
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 03/10/10 05:16 AM

Quote:

Now the rings are masked off and the Brown wood color is airbrushed onto the rim. Once set, I recreate all the wood grain by hand.

nice work.. what's the diff from a 68-9 to a 70 wheel
Posted By: b5rr

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 03/10/10 05:08 PM

Beautiful work. Just curious, what's the ballpark price for getting a wheel redone including replating the spokes?

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 03/10/10 10:52 PM

Thanks b5rr!

Here is a list of questions I need the answers to and along with a few pictures of your wheel I can give you a price.

Please copy and paste the questions onto an e-mail, answer them, attach a few photos of your wheel and send it all to: stwheels@shaw.ca

Hi b5rr, Thanks for your questions and interest in my services.

I know you already answered some of what I'll ask you but these are the standard questions I put to all potential customers. Once you respond with the answers and a few pictures of the wheel I can tell you exactly what the costs will be.

1-Please describe any cracks, damage or other problems that will need to be repaired.

2-Please describe the condition of the spokes. Only light rust can be cleaned up but any pitting or peeling will still be visible.
(I now offer re-plating of the spokes in the original Satin sheen, please ask for pricing and turnaround times)

3-What year, make and model vehicle does the wheel belong to?

4-Where do you live (shipping address)?

5-Please attach a few clear, in focus pictures of the wheel showing any cracks damage or other problems (front and rear)

I look forward to hearing back from you with the rest of the information I have requested and I hope I'll be able to help you with your restoration project.

Regards, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
8449-14 Ave
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada
T6K-1X3
780-450-1397
web site: http://drive.to/stwheels
Become a fan of "The Steering Wheel Guy Facebook Page": http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Steering-Wheel-Guy/200617011737?ref=ts

Attached picture 5856841-RedDodge.JPG
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 03/10/10 10:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks b5rr!

Here is a list of questions I need the answers to and along with a few pictures of your wheel I can give you a price.

Please copy and paste the questions onto an e-mail, answer them, attach a few photos of your wheel and send it all to: stwheels@shaw.ca

Hi b5rr, Thanks for your questions and interest in my services.

I know you already answered some of what I'll ask you but these are the standard questions I put to all potential customers. Once you respond with the answers and a few pictures of the wheel I can tell you exactly what the costs will be.

1-Please describe any cracks, damage or other problems that will need to be repaired.

2-Please describe the condition of the spokes. Only light rust can be cleaned up but any pitting or peeling will still be visible.
(I now offer re-plating of the spokes in the original Satin sheen, please ask for pricing and turnaround times)

3-What year, make and model vehicle does the wheel belong to?

4-Where do you live (shipping address)?

5-Please attach a few clear, in focus pictures of the wheel showing any cracks damage or other problems (front and rear)

I look forward to hearing back from you with the rest of the information I have requested and I hope I'll be able to help you with your restoration project.

Regards, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
8449-14 Ave
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada
T6K-1X3
780-450-1397
web site: http://drive.to/stwheels
Become a fan of "The Steering Wheel Guy Facebook Page": http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Steering-Wheel-Guy/200617011737?ref=ts

you have an email.. thanks
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 03/10/10 11:38 PM

Beautiful work Doug. I may contact you about mine. It's a repop from PG Classics. Looks good but not correct. Wood color is wrong and spokes are shinny like polished stainless steel.

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 03/10/10 11:45 PM

... and you have some questions ...

you have an email.. thanks

Attached picture 5856961-LandRoverdone.JPG

Re: 70 b body with woodgrain weel - 03/11/10 01:01 AM

Quote:

Beautiful work Doug. I may contact you about mine. It's a repop from PG Classics. Looks good but not correct. Wood color is wrong and spokes are shinny like polished stainless steel.

Sounds kool Doug and with 2 Doug's on the job, well ... can it get any better ??? LOL

Attached picture 5857156-BuickDONE.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums