Moparts

e body defroster and heater control question

Posted By: Grizzly

e body defroster and heater control question - 08/06/08 04:21 AM

To pass a mechanical inspection, I have to prove that the defroster works on our car. The problem is, that the fan is blowing (not terribly fast) on defrost but the air is still directed at the floor.

You can hear a clicking sound when cycling the controls.

The car has factory A/C, so everything is push-button with vacuum lines.

Is there any way I can reach up in there to manually move the air control doors without pulling the whole thing apart?

Thanks!
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: e body defroster and heater control question - 08/07/08 11:46 PM

There could be a few things wrong that is affecting the operation...Bad A/C switch,vacuum line leak,and lastely a bad{ruptured} vacuum actuator...There's 3 or 4 vacuum pods around the A/C heater box that open/close the doors...Look under there and you'll see them...Just disconect and plug the vac. hose to the pod in question,then disconect the pod arm from the rod and close the door manually...I can't remember which actuator it is off the top of my head but they're easy enough to get to and try...when you find the right one just wire it closed so it will work...
Posted By: therocks

Re: e body defroster and heater control question - 08/08/08 10:43 AM

You should be able to disconnect the vacuum and go into default mode.That makes the defrost work.All modern cars from about 69 have to have that.Its federal law.They want the defrost to work to clean the windshield.Like said it can be a vacuum pod or the cintroller itself.All modern cars push some air to the windshield always to keep it clean.Rocky
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: e body defroster and heater control question - 08/08/08 07:48 PM

My 71 cuda hasn't had the vacuum hooked up in years. Blows cold A/C out the vents, not the defrost.

Re: e body defroster and heater control question - 08/12/08 12:06 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I was able to pull out this vacuum pot and poked a screwdriver through the hole it came out of. The door flopped shut and now I have the defrost.

By the way, the only thing that held it back on the inspection was a crack on the outer rubber of the front brakeline. I was really fortunate that a close-by parts store couriered a brakeline from 2.5 hours away. I put it on and the car passed!

Attached picture 4612656-DSCN3442.JPG

Re: e body defroster and heater control question - 08/12/08 12:07 AM

And, this is where it came from: directly above the map light.

Attached picture 4612660-DSCN3443.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums