Moparts

Roller Cam 360 Differences?

Posted By: EV2RUNNER

Roller Cam 360 Differences? - 04/28/10 05:47 PM

Im wanting to convert a 92 360 back to pre roller style lifters and pushrods. Are the lifters, pushrods and cam the only thing that changed? I was hoping I could just change out the Lifters and pushrods and be able to run a regular LA aftermarket cam..Am I correct? I know I could have a cam reground to fit the roller setup but I wanna go Old style LA.. Thanks
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Roller Cam 360 Differences? - 04/28/10 06:05 PM

Quote:

Im wanting to convert a 92 360 back to pre roller style lifters and pushrods. Are the lifters, pushrods and cam the only thing that changed? I was hoping I could just change out the Lifters and pushrods and be able to run a regular LA aftermarket cam..Am I correct? I know I could have a cam reground to fit the roller setup but I wanna go Old style LA.. Thanks

As I understand it, the only differences are more clearance for the roller lifters in the magnum block casting and a passage to pump oil into the valve lifter gallery.
I went the opposite direction going with a Magnum block with roller lifters for my 73.
Craig
Posted By: patrick

Re: Roller Cam 360 Differences? - 04/28/10 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As I understand it, the only differences are more clearance for the roller lifters in the magnum block casting and a passage to pump oil into the valve lifter gallery.
I went the opposite direction going with a Magnum block with roller lifters for my 73.
Craig

the '92 is an LA...the lifter bores of a roller cam block are slightly taller. the holes in the head the pushrods go through are slightly larger, due to the different pushrod angle with the longer roller lifter/shorter pushrods combo.

other than that, a flat tappet with the proper pushrods will drop right in. the question is, why? you can reuse your existing roller lifters, and most likely your pushrods with a new or reground roller cam. that puts it in the price of $150 (reground)-$300 (new). by the time you buy a decent cam/lifter combo (comp XE or lunati voodoo) you're looking at $180-200, plus new pushrods ($30-100), so you're not saving any money, and you have the potential worry/headache of a cam lobe going flat.

Re: Roller Cam 360 Differences? - 04/28/10 08:05 PM

Basicly, it all boils down to time... I need to have the motor built, in and running by the end of next month. Ive already got most of the parts here, the rest are in stock at summit. I dont wanna take a chance of going with a reground cam and not having it back in time.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Roller Cam 360 Differences? - 04/28/10 08:07 PM

you should trade me blocks...

Re: Roller Cam 360 Differences? - 04/28/10 08:20 PM

If you were closer.... BUT If you wanna come get it bring me one of those no rust 70s PowerWagons I always see on ebay for dirt cheap up your way!
Posted By: patrick

Re: Roller Cam 360 Differences? - 04/28/10 08:34 PM

Quote:

Basicly, it all boils down to time... I need to have the motor built, in and running by the end of next month. Ive already got most of the parts here, the rest are in stock at summit. I dont wanna take a chance of going with a reground cam and not having it back in time.

hughes sells them on an exchange basis....

turnaround when I had Bullet Cams do mine was exactly 1 week, but I paid a little extra for 2 day guaranteed shipping both ways.
© 2024 Moparts Forums