Moparts

8 3/4 axle green bearing squeak!

Posted By: Kern Dog

8 3/4 axle green bearing squeak! - 04/27/10 05:18 AM

Although I have had several Mopars in my lifetime, I have never had one long enough to experience an axle bearing failure.
My 70 Charger has had the Green bearing "Upgrade" several years ago, but I have only put 3000 miles or so since. I put in a rear disc brake kit offered from Dr Diff. Great kit. Since the install, I have put on about 1000 miles.
Lately while driving along, the left rear corner has a rotational squeak that goes away when I turn right or press the brakes. I suspect the bearing. I don't remember if his disc kit allowed the retention of the tapered Timken bearings or not. I already had the Non adjustable Greens in at the time. I have yet to read here about axle bearings squeaking. Has anyone else?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 8 3/4 axle green bearing squeak! - 04/29/10 04:10 AM

Okay... The car is now SQUEAK FREE ! It was NOT the axle bearing as I first thought. I pulled the tire and found the problem right away. I have the rear disc brake kit from Dr Diff . It all fit great and stops far better than it did with the 10 inch drums. Somehow the caliper adapter was resting against the rotor. I pulled it apart and took about 1/8" off of the bracket and it clears easily now. I have no idea how the bracket was able to shift over. If the time comes when the rotor makes contact with the bracket again, I'll deal with it then!
© 2024 Moparts Forums