Moparts

Offset motor.....centered rear end pinion

Posted By: DRJDVM

Offset motor.....centered rear end pinion - 04/26/10 10:18 PM

How many of you guys are running the stock offset motor position, but have the rearend pinion dead center (the actual yoke is dead center...same measurement from yoke to flange on each side)??...i.e the yoke not offset to the pass side like the motor......

Other than tunnel clearence, is there any problems in doing that?
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Offset motor.....centered rear end pinion - 04/27/10 03:32 AM

Nope, it'll work just fine..
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Offset motor.....centered rear end pinion - 04/27/10 04:28 AM

I've been told there should be some offset somewhere so the u-joint needle bearings will rotate. The tail shaft and pinion center line, however need to be parallel. While This page doesn't describe the needle bearing part it does describe the angle requirement pretty good
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Offset motor.....centered rear end pinion - 04/27/10 04:32 AM

The yoke actually is offset. If you are referring to the 8 3/4 axle, the 3rd member bolts into the center of the housing. The pinion sits to the right by about 1 3/4 inches. The driveline tunnel is off center as well.
Posted By: DRJDVM

Re: Offset motor.....centered rear end pinion - 04/30/10 03:19 PM

That page is very helpful....

What I'm talking about is the offset from side to side of the centerlines of the rearend yoke and the crankshaft.... in other words if you drew a straight line throught the crank and to the back of the car...and drew a straight line from the yoke to the front of the car....do they need to totally line up with each other in the horizontal plane......

So the answer is "No"... they just need to be parallel to each other....like the "Vertical Views" A and B on that linked page

Which is what I have...so I should be good....
© 2024 Moparts Forums