Moparts

Help! starting 70 Challenger

Posted By: rutro

Help! starting 70 Challenger - 04/26/10 01:04 AM

So...I can start the car by using a push button from the engine compartment. But can't turn it over from the key on the column.

Use to be able to. I've since had unplug much of the dash wiring. But seems to be all plug up correctly.

When I turn the key I get a tingy sound, like an electrical sound.

I've replaced the starter relay...nothing different.

I have a new wiring harness for the neutral safety switch. Same switch in transmission when the car use to run.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

Thanks,
Mark
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Help! starting 70 Challenger - 04/26/10 01:22 AM

Take a jumper wire w alligator clips on each end, then unplug the NSS wire from the "grn" terminal on the starter relay and jump the "grn" terminal (not the wire you removed from it) to ground and try it.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Help! starting 70 Challenger - 04/26/10 03:33 PM

Use a voltmeter to test for voltage to the relay with the key in the start position. Also check ALL your grounds. Your column needs that stupid little jumper ground wire to the stud holding the column up, the firewall needs a ground to the engine, and the starter relay needs a good ground to the fender well.

Re: Help! starting 70 Challenger - 04/26/10 04:51 PM

RapidRobert,
Thanks i will try tonight need to put bulkhead connector back in.
Sixpak,
Thanks, ground on the steering column? Is that part of the wiring harness or something I make up?

All good things to do tonight.

Re: Help! starting 70 Challenger - 04/27/10 01:24 AM

RapidRobert
Thanks! Grounding terminal helped.
Just need to find out if switch is bad or the harness is messed up.

Sixpak
Put on a jumper wire as well.

THANKS!
Posted By: HemiSportFury

Re: Help! starting 70 Challenger - 04/27/10 01:29 AM

4 speed or auto? The starter relays are different to allow for the neutral safety switch on the auto transmission.
© 2024 Moparts Forums