Moparts

318/340 Intake Manifold Install...

Posted By: cuda_tim

318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/23/10 01:51 PM

Ok, I've always wanted to ask this question, but I've never had the time.

So here goes...

When installing the front and rear intake gaskets on a SB Chrysler (especially when you just installed new Head gaskets), I've always wondered what to do about the head gasket tabs that interfere with the placement of the intake gaskets.

1) Do you cut them off?
2) Or, do you bend them down and then install the front and rear intake gaskets?
3) Or, do you install the front and rear intake gaskets, then bend the tabs down to help hold the ends of the intake gaskets down?

Anybody?

Thanks!

Tim...
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/23/10 02:02 PM

If you use the intake gasket with the end pieces the tabs go through the little holes in the end pieces to hold in place. If you use silicone you can clip them off or leave them the intake should seal either way..
Posted By: cuda_tim

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/23/10 02:09 PM

Quote:

If you use the intake gasket with the end pieces the tabs go through he little holes in the end pieces to hold in place.

If you use silicone you can clip them off or leave them the intake should seal either way..

Good answer...

I've never had any trouble with leaks, but I always find myself wondering "how did I install these the last time????"

I always like to glue the pieces down (with silicone) and let it sit overnight anyhow.

I'm going to make it a point to just "cut them off".

Thanks!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/23/10 08:21 PM

cut em off and use clear silicone instead of the supplied end rail gaskets which regularly are too thick and hold the intake up just a hair where down the line the front water ports will start to seep. A wide carefully placed swath of RTV works/looks perfect and clean the surfaces 1st w brake kleen
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/23/10 08:47 PM

let it cure over night also
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/23/10 08:51 PM

Quote:

let it cure over night also

Yes
Posted By: volaredon

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/26/10 12:10 AM

I have bnever had a problem using the supplied end seals and also have never had success using RTV alonbe in place of the supplied end seals. I use the ones that come with the gasket set and put RTV ONLY in the corners where the seperate gaskets come together.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/26/10 06:28 AM

I always throw out the end seals and use silicone and never had a problem. I know someone who cuts the head gasket tab off when he does it. If it's flat I just leave it there.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/26/10 12:22 PM

comes down to workmanship IMO

i have used the cork end seals for yrs and never have a problem with just rtv in the corners

I have also used just rtv on the ends,but use it in a large calk tube and gun so I get a wider thicker bead the first lay down

to much and it can wind up all in the engine from sqeeze out,does not go thru the oil pump very well either

I feel by hand as the intake is torqued down slowly,keeping the ends gasket from sqeezing out and moveing and pushing against it when it wants to slide out..nice and straight let rtv in the corners cure over night

main thing is to plan the intake swap as a 24hr job for cure time

Posted By: Sixpak

Re: 318/340 Intake Manifold Install... - 04/26/10 03:39 PM

Quote:

cut em off and use clear silicone instead of the supplied end rail gaskets which regularly are too thick and hold the intake up just a hair where down the line the front water ports will start to seep. A wide carefully placed swath of RTV works/looks perfect and clean the surfaces 1st w brake kleen

Sooner or later cork or rubber will push or give out, regardless of whether you used the little dowel pins in the middle of the sealing area. Silicone and nothing else...
© 2024 Moparts Forums