Moparts

Raising Front Suspension with no Alignment what is Max

Posted By: fury4speed

Raising Front Suspension with no Alignment what is Max - 04/21/10 08:27 PM

I want to raise the Front a bit , what is the limit before you have to re-align the Car , this is a 68 , thanks.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Raising Front Suspension with no Alignment what is Max - 04/21/10 08:41 PM

Stay within the upper and lower control arm stops. That means keep them from touching. You should at least then do a tape measure toe check.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Raising Front Suspension with no Alignment what is Max - 04/21/10 09:50 PM

Mopars are known for having a lot of bumpsteer so I would re-align or at least check it before and after. It is really not that hard to check it yourself.
Posted By: fury4speed

Re: Raising Front Suspension with no Alignment what is Max - 04/21/10 10:26 PM

Yes I probably will re-check it but I was wondering if there was a limit to raise or lower the front and it would not change , I want to raise the front about an Inch.

Re: Raising Front Suspension with no Alignment what is Max - 04/21/10 10:35 PM

It would really depend on where on the stroke the front end is. If it is in the 'sweet spot' (which you don't really know where that is) the toe change would be minimal, but if it is at one of the extremes 1/2 inch would make a really big change in toe.

Re: Raising Front Suspension with no Alignment what is Max - 04/21/10 10:50 PM

For you it could really be easy. If you have the right things in your garage and if you can put a jack under your car.

Get 2 long bars

Find 4 items 6-8 inches in height (all must be same height) like 4 old oil cans,

Get a tape measure

Set the oil cans beside each front tire.

Place the bars on top of the cans with the side of the bars resting against the front tires at two places.

Measure the distance between the two bars...

Floor jack the front of the car up with to the height you want.

Push the bars up against the side of the tire again.

Make the measurement.

This is how much movement there is if you lift it.

If it moved 1/16 of an inch or more you should recheck and adjust your toe as nec.

If you want to find out what you toe is. Make a measurement to each bar behind and in front of each tire. Subtract the two and this is your toe.

And of course this adjustment is with the suspension at full rest (no binding) so it maybe a good idea to put the front tires onto something slick like 4 tiles (or sheet metal) with grease between them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums