Moparts

Question about the other " M codes"

Posted By: scatpacktom

Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 12:33 AM

Can we talk about factory A body M codes? Are they the nose heavy pigs the magazines claim they were?

How did they run? I know all about the choked up exhaust manifold but the engine still made 375 hp didn't it?

69 GTX vs 69 Cuda who wins?

Would love to hear from some M code owners.
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 01:00 AM

Tom, i'm not sure of 1/4 mile times for road tests on '69 GTX's back when new. Would have to compare auto and same rear gear. I have most all mags that did '69 M-code 'cuda tests in showroom stock trim. Of coarse the traction was the problem. Generally the 'cuda ran 14 flat, with a best time by one mag at 13.89......You've seen mine run low 14's(IIRC 14.11) without messing with it AT ALL or shifting manually. I bet you could get alot more out of it if you tweeked it your way!!! The notch is 100lbs lighter than the fastback.

Attached picture 5935672-\'69M-code\'cuda017@50%size.jpg
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 01:08 AM

They are neat cars....

Passed on a very nice M code Dart a few years back. Guy wanted 10K and it was a very nice car. I have had a few nice M codes come through my shop over the years including a very nice and very rare notchback Cuda. It's owned by Dave G. You have met him as he hangs out with and is part of the NY crew. I think he goes by the name of big block dave on here. He maintains a registry for these special cars.

If you have never read it, you should get a chance to read about the M code Dart that was stolen out of NYC when it was new. The magazines got the car for some testing and it was stolen- and subsequently raced at the local tracks. Made some noise and opened some eyes, but really wasn't any match for the top dog compact Chevrolets, Mustangs, and Pontiacs..

Manifolds or not, an M code Dart or Cuda would handily beat a Charger or GTX 440-4 car .

I do like them

MB

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 01:12 AM

About what does your car weigh Dave?
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 02:14 AM

I remember back in the 80s I was in the old Mopar Muscle Club. We used to get a black and white zerox printed newsletter. One issue had a reprint of a Motor Trend test on a 440 Dart. Seems like after blocking the heat riser open and a little fiddling they ran a best of 12.71 on E70X14 Goodyear Speedways! Sounds like it woulda been a lotta bang for the buck.
Posted By: 68notch

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 03:48 AM

would they be the car to run in F.A.S.T. or pure stock if they are alot lighter? or are they disallowed ?i havent seen anything about them
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 06:39 AM

They are fat, nose-heavy pigs and run like crap. When you are done trying to get traction I will give you a couple bucks for one...

Attached picture 5936229-69X9GTSFT.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/20/10 07:10 AM

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/21/10 01:15 AM

Ahhh? Whats with the truck?
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/21/10 04:24 AM

Quote:

About what does your car weigh Dave?

Tom, now the weight you ask??? Well i have an EXACT answer for you just because i was always curious about the weight myself!! Just as you see it in the pic with spare tire/jack in trunk and the tank filled to the rim(minus 1 mile of gas to get to the official scale) it weighed EXACTLY 3300 lbs!! I paid for an official weight reciept if you want to see it.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/21/10 04:34 AM

Quote:

Ahhh? Whats with the truck?

I'm guessing Steve linked the wrong picture...
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/21/10 08:52 PM

He (Steve) was probably thinking of this M-code Dart that was at Spring Fling.

Attached picture 5939317-69DartGTS440-1.JPG

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/21/10 08:54 PM

Attached picture 5939319-69DartGTS440a1.JPG

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/21/10 08:55 PM

Attached picture 5939321-69DartGTS440b1.JPG
Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/26/10 12:31 PM

I like that one! Who is Dallas S.? :shruggy
:http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Y7u_zIAGYyM/S8zOX4BHtKI/AAAAAAAAFw8/9ZiqN0vpdZg/s128/P1030268.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/27/10 05:58 AM

Quote:

Can we talk about factory A body M codes? Are they the nose heavy pigs the magazines claim they were?

How did they run? I know all about the choked up exhaust manifold but the engine still made 375 hp didn't it?

69 GTX vs 69 Cuda who wins?

Would love to hear from some M code owners.

Same kind of weight distribution as an E body but weigh less.

These cars got little love as the E bodies introducted the next year overshadowed them.

They were like any other big block Mopar that simply needed gears, recurved dist. and a little tweeking to run. They were GOOD competitors for the other make big block compacts.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/27/10 02:45 PM

Quote:

They are fat, nose-heavy pigs and run like crap. When you are done trying to get traction I will give you a couple bucks for one...

Black AND STRIPE DELETE ...

I'll take it , take a green dart in trade?

Tom , do you have the exhaust manifold$ ?

Though not a good comparision my 69 383 4 speed 3.91 dart went 14.18 at Stanton in 06 weighing 3605lbs w/driver, 56k miles and the timing chain was so loose I could have removed it without removing the gears.

I would imagine that a 440 A body should be running faster than that considering the auto is easier to launch ?
Posted By: srt

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 04/27/10 02:53 PM

I have not driven one but can offer this:
Our daughters neighbor owns an m-code (for many years). I talked with him about it and he said stock handling was shameful. He upgraded the suspension (bushings and shocks were mentioned) which improved the handling.
He subsequently recieved a excessive speed tix, parked it and it has remained buried in his garage since.
Posted By: OneOfMany

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 05/04/10 09:56 PM

Put over 40,000 miles on mine. Beat the crup out of it. Handling is so-so, rear end loves to come around. Manual steering made me strong when parking. Traction with the 235's on it was marginal, although the tranny soft-shifted. Braking was OK - the first stop lol. All original save exhaust so I'm sure front end work could have helped. Nothing better though then stomping the pedal in a straight line.

Grant
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Question about the other " M codes" - 05/19/10 08:25 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums