Moparts

Timing cover crank seal

Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 12:51 AM

Is a 340 timing cover crank seal the same as a big block timing cover seal?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 12:59 AM

Yep
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 01:05 AM

the covers are different between SB & BB

not sure on the seal swap myself,I just may learn something new here on this post

but sb have 1 that goes in from the inside and 1 thats goes in from the out side on the t-coves

so may depend on what seal your looking at for a sb to use on the BB

I have a BB 440 and have not had the fun of a front seal yet

Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 01:09 AM

Covers different - seals the same

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 01:10 AM

I thought they were, but Summit shows the same part for both, so figured that clinches it.

The late small block ones have the big seal that goes on from the outside, but since he didn't mention having a late cover, should be fine.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 01:13 AM

ok so,

the early sb seal that goes in from the inside does not swap out on the BB cover correct??

the later one that goes in from the outside does swap out to the BB correct?

if so I learned something new..thanks
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 01:13 AM

Quote:

Yep

Thanks. I'm working on my first small block (69 340 fastback) and I had a couple spare seals for my 440. It looked like they would fit. Is there a trick to installing one into an aluminum cover? I don't want to crack it trying to hammer the seal into it?

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 01:32 AM

I've never had a problem with the covers...I just flip it upside down on either a chunk of aluminum or even a 2x4 and just tap the seal in. I've got something the correct diameter around to drive it in...can't remember where I got it from but even tapping around and around it with a drift will do as well.

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 01:35 AM

Quote:

ok so,

the early sb seal that goes in from the inside does not swap out on the BB cover correct??

the later one that goes in from the outside does swap out to the BB correct?

if so I learned something new..thanks

They late cover uses an oddball sized seal from memory...well, only late small block that is. I've never put a seal in a late small block, only big blocks and early small blocks...but have had the late SB covers around at least to know what they are like

Late cover on the right, and magnum on the left..

Attached picture 5933780-012(40).JPG
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 04:39 AM

Flat faced seals still interchange and fit. Outer and inner diameters are still the same.
Posted By: Dusted_Ya

Re: Timing cover crank seal - 04/19/10 05:19 AM

Come on now! Everybody knows that! That's why we love mopars! Interchangability!
© 2024 Moparts Forums