Moparts

big block water pump bolts leaking

Posted By: Boise Chall

big block water pump bolts leaking - 04/17/10 03:45 AM

When I put my new factory style pump in my 440 Source housing I put aviation sealer (baby poop)on the bolts before I installed them. My pump started leaking around the water pump to housing bolts today what do you guys use fo sealer on the bolts? silicone or ????
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: big block water pump bolts leaking - 04/17/10 04:56 AM

Might use some permatex #1 that comes in a small tube. It is viscous and dries hard. Clean the bolt holes, the bolts and let it set up overnight. this area is rarely a problem so check the fit of the bolts into the threads dry ahead of time & see if they feel tight & if so goop em up & install. The thread fit concerns me more than the type of gasket cement
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: big block water pump bolts leaking - 04/17/10 05:21 AM

After looking at the bolts it doesn't look like the baby poop dried completely it was still tacky when I took the bolts out I wonder if the jar went bad it was pretty old. the pumps been in for about 2 weeks but I only drove the car twice since it's been in and not for very long each time. The pump I took out never leaked at the bolts and used the same bolts so I don't think it's the threads in the housing. I will try the permatex #1 in the morning unless you can think of something that will dry faster I want to drive the car tomorrow.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: big block water pump bolts leaking - 04/17/10 05:35 AM

Same housing same 4 bolts just a new WP itself? yes goop em up w something thick, I'd drain some of the coolant clean the holes/bolts w some starting fluid (it flashes off in seconds), use the Permatex #1 and fire it up.
Posted By: therocks

Re: big block water pump bolts leaking - 04/17/10 11:51 AM

Just use some liquid teflon.Ive never had a leak using it.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums