Moparts

GTX won't start...ran yesterday!

Posted By: Dirk

GTX won't start...ran yesterday! - 04/15/10 12:28 AM

Hi all,
I am restoring the dash on my '68 GTX and had it all apart etc.
I actually ran it yesterday by setting the speedo section on the floor and hooking the battery wires to it. Ran fine.
Today, I put it together and went to start it and no spark except when I let go of the key, it pops once.
Does this sound like an ignition switch issue? I pulled the harness off the back of the switch and the red wire/batt terminal showed the plastic had been hot but I don't know if it was lately. Test light shows power is there.

Any tips?
Thanks!
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: GTX won't start...ran yesterday! - 04/15/10 02:23 AM

Ballast resistor,if you have one.
Bulkhead connection.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: GTX won't start...ran yesterday! - 04/15/10 03:37 AM

You mentioned restoration so I am assuming points. w your test light see if it has fire to the coil positive primary terminal while someone turns the key to start then check if the coil negative primary terminal blinks off/on also when someone turns the key to start. Can (temporarily) disable the starter at the starter relay while you are doing this testing as to not run the batt down for no good reason cause you are not concerned w the cranking circuit. If no fire work backward to the bulkhead and inside if necc. EDIT forgot, for the neg side to blink the starter will have to crank it over.

Re: GTX won't start...ran yesterday! - 04/15/10 03:51 AM

Robert, thank you. It currently has a Unilite (came with car) in it and tomorrow I will have a second set of hands to turn the key so I can check underhood and the bulkhead connector (Thanks Dennis!)
It ran fine yesterday so chances are I may have bumped an already bad connection.
It makes me curious that it will want to fire for a second when I release the key... ?
Posted By: 1970GTX

Re: GTX won't start...ran yesterday! - 04/15/10 02:40 PM

Quote:

Ballast resistor,if you have one.

I went through this the other day. Vermin got into the engine compartment and knocked the connector off of the ballast resistor. plugged it back in and it fired right up.

Re: GTX won't start...ran yesterday! - 04/15/10 09:24 PM

Cleaned up the bulkhead connectors, checked all connections under dash, changed the ignition switch.
What kind of voltages should I get at each end of the ballast resister on the firewall?
© 2024 Moparts Forums