Moparts

Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear

Posted By: Badfish67

Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 09:15 PM

So I have a new starter relay, a new neutral safety switch in the transmission (single wire), ran all new wires from the switch to the relay, relay to the starter button, and it still starts in any gear. Anyone have any ideas???
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 09:27 PM

The problem is that You have a grounded wire or bad neutral safety switch. Get a test light and go from 12V to the neutral switch(wires disconected from switch). If you have light then the new switch is bad. If no light, then check the wire off of the switch to ground. Hope this helps.
Posted By: iron6

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 09:40 PM

I had the same problem. Check the (single wire) ground wire from the neutral safety switch to the ground connection on the starter relay. I bought new switch and relay also. My was grounded out on the engine where a wire tie was used. Good Luck
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 09:49 PM

What valve body lever is in that trans?
The single post switch ONLY works with the old style rooster comb lever in the valve body.
My thinking is that it would stay grounded out ... thus letting the car start in all positions.
Maybe I'm nuts...but that's what I think.
Ran into a similar situation in my GTX. Had to change a "few" things!

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 10:13 PM

I'm not sure what lever is in the transmission...I will need to call John Cope and ask. I tried the test light and got no light any way I tried it.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 10:35 PM

The single post NSS will work just fine with the newer roostercomb.

A simple test with a meter or test light will show if the NSS is staying grounded in gears other than P and N.

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 11:38 PM

So I put the test light on the NSS and I dont get a light in any gear...but it will still start in all gears.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/12/10 11:42 PM

You do have the test light hooked to a 12v source right? Because the switch is the ground.

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 01:31 AM

With the test light hooked up I can touch the outside of the NSS and I get a light, but no light on the terminal where the wire hooks up to.

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 03:04 AM

Next thing to check is if the car will start with the switch disconnected. If it does then you have a wiring problem between the switch and the starter relay.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 04:40 AM

Do you have the correct neutral safety switch? There are 2 types of single pin.

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 12:30 PM

I have the switch thats in the middle of the pictue. So the car will still start with the NSS disconnected. It just seems like my wiring is bypassing the starter relay. I have the wire going from the NSS to the G on the relay, then a wire from the I on the relay to my starter button. What else am I missing???

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 02:54 PM

You either have the n/s switch wire grounded somewhere between the switch and relay or a bad stsrter relay.

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 02:58 PM

Thats what I thought too...so I got a new starter relay and ran a new wire from the NSS to the starter relay...same issues...
Posted By: Alikazam

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 03:08 PM

Did you make sure to get a starter relay meant for an Auto? I accidentally got one for a manual car once and it would start in any gear! The difference was one tab across the corner was flat welded metal where on the Auto one it had a terminal there. Kind of hard to explain but you should have 2 wires connected to the NSS terminals (besides battery and starter wires) I think. I believe one is Key-on/start and the other was the ground from the NSS. Good Luck!
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 05:02 PM

Seeing that were not getting anywhere with this,
Have you taken(or considered) the tranny pan off and checked to see how the comb is contacting the detent button, if it is at all?

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 05:30 PM

I guess thats my next step...Thanks all!!!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 08:24 PM

Don't bother pulling the pan, if "the car will still start with the NSS disconnected" as you stated earlier the problem isn't in the transmission.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 10:24 PM

unplug the wire at starter relay and if doesn't crank, I think you found it

wire is simply grounded somehow, peeled or whatever...

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 10:42 PM

He already said he ran a new wire from the switch to the relay so it's not a wire problem.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/13/10 10:46 PM

yea I read that, but if cranks without the wire plugged, is still starter relay related... if doesn't crank with wire unplugged at relay, then is still the wire... no other posibility that I'm aware at least

( both test with NSS unplugged )

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/14/10 02:16 AM

It won't be a wire problem when he ran it directly from the switch to the relay. It is not possible with a new wire.

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/14/10 02:25 AM

It will crank with the wire plugging in or not and in any gear. I'm thinking that somehow i'm bypassing the NSS...any ideas about that? I have a 6 switch Painless Wiring box. The "I" wire from the starter relay goes to the starter button in the Painless box and the other wire from the NSS goes to the "G" on the starter relay. Thats about it...

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/14/10 02:53 AM

With the wire disconnected from the g terminal the engine should not turn over. You are having a relay problem if it does turn over. As asked before are you sure you don't have a relay for a stick car?
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/14/10 05:49 AM

This whole scenerio defies all logic regarding a NSS and/or the relay!!
The ONLY engineered way the starter can get juice is if the relay grounds .
The only other way is if the middle wire on the relay (the one that goes to the starter solenoid small terminal)gets 12 volts.
If there's no wire on the ground (G) side of the relay, then that tells me the relay is continuosly grounded. Yet a new relay doesn't fix the problem!!
Something is REALLY strange.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/14/10 11:28 AM

Post a picture of the relays terminals you are using. Its not rocket science here, its an easy one minute to diagnose and fix problem

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/14/10 01:25 PM

I just figured it out...for some reason years ago, I ran a wire from my starter button to the same terminal on the starter relay that holds the wire for the starter (which should have just went to the "I" terminal). I took off that wire and now it will only start in park or neutral. Thanks for all the help!!! Now I wont have to lie at tech inspection that I have a NSS
Posted By: 56 windsor

Re: Neutral safety switch issues - starts in gear - 04/14/18 03:45 AM

go to Oriley and buy a 30 amp 4 pole relay. about 8 bucks on the shelf. Should have numbers 30,85, 86, and 87. 30 is a fused constant power supply. 87 is power out 12 volts. 87 goes to the solenoid. when activated 30 and 87 are like a single wire. 85 is ground that goes to NSS pin. 86 is what I call the trigger switch wire it comes from a temporary 12v power switch. the 86 is the lead wire for the coil in the relay, and the 85 is the ground. the NSS supplies the ground when in park or neutral. 85 and 86 makes the coil charge and closes the points and joins 30 and 87 together to put out 12 volts and start the car. you would probably run 86 from the ignition switch start. if you have a ford like a solenoid hook it to the s side small post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46nlei-2e4k
© 2024 Moparts Forums