Moparts

dragging disks

Posted By: 471Magnum

dragging disks - 04/12/10 04:59 PM

The manual front disc brakes on my Challenger seem to be dragging. I believe these are a Master Power conversion kit.

Had the front end up off the ground, and while I could turn the wheels, they won’t spin. There is definitely a lot of drag.

Pedal is coming up all the way, and I even shortened the rod a bit to see if it needed to come up further (it didn't).

What might be causing this issue? And how do I fix it?
Posted By: sogtx

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 05:06 PM

residual valve in mc .. take it out , leave rear in , Are rear discs ?
Also check pushrod length .
Adjust brake swith on pedal assembly , may not
be retracting all the way ..
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 05:07 PM

First, establish if it is residual brake line pressure or something mechanical with the calipers/sliders by cracking open the bleeder.

If cracking the bleeder relieves the drag, pursue kinked or failed line, stuck prop valve, messed up MC, or maladjusted MC rod.

If it doesn't, pursue/clean/lube the workings of how the calipers slide.

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 05:18 PM

I'm getting the same drag on both sides, which leads me to believe the problem is well upstream.

Shouldn't be a residual valve on the front, should there?

There is nothing restricting upward travel of the pedal. That's the first thing I checked by removing the brake lamp switch and shortening the rod.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 05:28 PM

to check the residual valve, take the line off the master cylinder and look in the port. There'll be a hole in the middle tube seat. Stick a toothpick in the hole and see if you can feel something 'springy'.

If you can, that's the pressure valve, so you'll need to use an easy out to remove the tube seat to get access to the pressure valve.

Or, it could be like my master cylinder when I went from drum to disc, and just didn't have the RPV.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 06:07 PM

Some drag is normal. They won't spin free like drums do.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 06:54 PM

Quote:

Some drag is normal. They won't spin free like drums do.

There is always some drag to the isc brakes. Keep sthe rotors clean and free of road debrie.

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 06:56 PM

I'm familiar with the normal drag. This is more drag than I've felt on any other disc brake car.

I can usually spin the wheel a little. Not so in this case. It stops immediately.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 07:00 PM

Yes it's a judgement call as some drag more than others and I had one (oe) that seemed too tight and a rebuilt caliper took care of it. I'd crack the line at the caliper to see (in seconds) if it is a psi issue or a mechanical one and most likely could crack it a bit and not have to rebleed

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 07:04 PM

Yep. Tonight I'll check to see if there is pressure on it.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 07:06 PM

You might want to check and see how tight the wheel bearings were adjusted while you're at it.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 08:11 PM

Quote:

First, establish if it is residual brake line pressure or something mechanical with the calipers/sliders by cracking open the bleeder.

If cracking the bleeder relieves the drag, pursue kinked or failed line, stuck prop valve, messed up MC, or maladjusted MC rod.

If it doesn't, pursue/clean/lube the workings of how the calipers slide.

Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 08:14 PM

Last time my car did that, it was the brake fluid dist block ( prop valve )
Posted By: sogtx

Re: dragging disks - 04/12/10 09:16 PM

Do They eventually free Up ???????????????????????????????? When u come back to it ten minutes later ??
Posted By: dave571

Re: dragging disks - 04/13/10 02:24 AM

Some drag more than others.

If they aren't heating up while your driving it, or pulling, then you are chasing a ghost

Re: dragging disks - 04/13/10 11:54 AM

Rechecked it last night. RH side felt pretty normal. LH side definitely has more drag. Don't feel it going down the road though.

Need to pull the wheel for a closer look.
© 2024 Moparts Forums