Moparts

boiling gas in the carb

Posted By: new bee

boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 12:25 AM

I am having a small problem with my 69 Super Bee. When I take it out for a drive, everything is fine until it's fully up to it's normal temperature. At slower speeds, it starts to surge a bit until I give it a bit of gas. Once I let off and slow down, the surging continues. It's not really dramatic, but it is noticeable.
When I am back from my drive, I pull it into the garage and shut it off. If you listen to the carb, you can here boiling. And, once it sits for a few minutes, it smells very strongly of gas.
If it helps, it is hard to start sometimes when cold (and sometimes when it's warmed up).
The engine is built to stock specs with the exception of a slightly hotter cam. I am temporarily running a brand new Edelbrock Thunder series carb while my stock Carter is being restored.
I checked my fuel lines and filter, and they are all located where the factory would have put them. They are not close to heater hoses, exhaust manifolds or the intake manifold.
So, what might be causing this?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 12:34 AM

Add an insulator spacer between the carb and the intake to help cool the incoming fuel charge. Also soemthing which will help more than that is to use gas that is NOT alcohol blended if poosible. The alcohol boils at a lot low er temperature than even our poor grade gasoline of today.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 12:34 AM

I had a similar problem with my Eddy carb till i put an insulator gasket under it. Edelbrock makes it. It's about a 1/4 inch thick. Problem is gone now.

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 12:39 AM

I heard the spacer might do the trick. I am running a stock air cleaner and intake (ramcharger hood). Do I have a 1/4" to spare?

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 12:45 AM

Also, could the surging at lower speeds (up to 40 mph, for example) be caused by fuel boiling?
Posted By: dave571

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 02:16 AM

Spacer will help.

I believe felpro makes a valley gasket that blocks off the heat cross over. This will help also.

The mechanical pump acts as a preheater too. It sounds like you want an all stock look, but if you could live without that, an electric pump will help too.
Posted By: ahy

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 02:28 AM

In addition to insulating the carb, a return line to the tank after the pump will help keep cool fuel circulating. The easiest way to do this is with the "3 prong" fuel filter with the return line taking some fuel and any vapor back to the tank. That way, cool fuel will be supplied even at light throttle.
Posted By: ahy

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 02:35 AM

PS. Today's gas boils easier than it did in the 60's and 70's. No problem in pressurized EFI but not good for a carb. With some mods as described it will work fine.
Posted By: Neil

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 02:36 AM

Even if the 1/4" spacer doesn't fit (put a chunk of modeling clay on the air cleaner lid and close the hood to find out) you could always stack as many of the thin gaskets as you can get away with.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 03:37 AM

How HOT does the intake get? What type exh system is on the car?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 03:53 AM

Your intake manifold is too hot. As said block ex manifold heat riser open, add a valley pan metal gasket w a blocked crossover hole(s), add a thick felpro ~3/8" spacer under the carb, no gasahol(E10), MAYBE a cooler stat. EDIT and a return line to the tank

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 05:23 AM

I am running stock exhaust.
The intake manifold is getting hot enough to burn off the paint right in the middle of it (where the heat riser attaches).

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 09:50 AM

Quote:

I am running stock exhaust.
The intake manifold is getting hot enough to burn off the paint right in the middle of it (where the heat riser attaches).

That is normal but today's gas doesn't like this and especially gas with alcohol blends.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 11:34 AM

If the heat riser in manifold gets stuck in the closed position, that can make today's fuel boiling problem even worse.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 12:01 PM

Quote:

If the heat riser in manifold gets stuck in the closed position, that can make today's fuel boiling problem even worse.

x 2 ... this was my reason for asking about what type of exh sys you had.

I would PULL the pass side manifold and REMOVE the flapper completely.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 12:12 PM

use a carb spacer and you would have any problems, that or one of those 3/8" fat gaskets. I don't know why people toss a carb on an intake w/o one.

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 03:42 PM

For the record, the exhaust manifold heat thing was removed and the hole was welded-up.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 04:04 PM

Jetting sounds lean, that's what makes it surge and will cause it to run hot. My
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 04:06 PM

Quote:

Also, could the surging at lower speeds (up to 40 mph, for example) be caused by fuel boiling?

It's caused by leaness.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 04:08 PM

I run E10 (gasahol) in my eddy 1406 on a 318 & no issues. Something is heating your intake and boiling the gas. EDIT what stat/eng temp?

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/12/10 04:21 PM

You very likely don't have a problem. It is stated that it can add to a problem by being an easier fuel to boil/perculate. May never have a problem or you may on a hot day. Not all are the same.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/14/10 03:50 PM

Quote:

use a carb spacer and you would have any problems, that or one of those 3/8" fat gaskets.

Yep, 3-4 guys said that already, and some of them had additional info/ideas, too.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 04/14/10 04:31 PM

Quote:

Jetting sounds lean, that's what makes it surge and will cause it to run hot. My

Not always the case....if you are running a vacuum advance and to much timing, that is normally the first thing to look at. Then if that is where it should be, go to the jetting.
Posted By: Manifold

Re: boiling gas in the carb - 05/26/10 03:14 AM

Quote:

In addition to insulating the carb, a return line to the tank after the pump will help keep cool fuel circulating. The easiest way to do this is with the "3 prong" fuel filter with the return line taking some fuel and any vapor back to the tank. That way, cool fuel will be supplied even at light throttle.

I have to admit, I've never heard of this trick as a solution - good stuff! I was just talking to a young guy at the parts store who was commenting on how no performance mechanical fuel pumps have a return line (which is the situation I'm in as well) to help with vapor lock. I'm currently modding the fuel delivery system and this just may get worked into it. Thanks for sharing!
© 2024 Moparts Forums