Moparts

Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and...

Posted By: Blakcharger440

Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 12:26 AM

I am building my own battery cables for my 70 Charger RT and I was wanting to know if 10 gauge wire would work for the small red wire that goes from the battery to the starter relay on the firewall.

And if 10 gauge wire would also work for the grey wire that goes from the starter relay to the starter???
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 01:15 AM

my 65 Imperial wiring diagram shows a 12ga from the relay into the bulkhead protected by a 16 ga FL so 10ga would ge a step up. Which other (grey) wire are you asking about?
Posted By: TheMoparJunky

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 01:37 AM

10 gauge would work. Either I'm guessing it's goin' to your ignition switch or your fuse box. If the grey one is going to your starter it's gotta be the starter wire to the solenoid, which should be no different than a field wire to your alt. Aslong as it feeds 12 volts and excites it (engages the solenoid/washer).Make sure there is no diode in the system your replacing(sorry worked on boats, motorcycles and airplanes the last 2 years and have forgotten the systems). But should be pretty straight forward.

The Mopar Junky
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 02:13 AM

If going into the bulkhead connector, most likely is for the amp guage. Use 10 guage..

Just my $0.01...
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 03:32 AM

Do you still have a fusible link?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 03:35 AM

is more important a good alt, then the 10 gauge wire into alt wire, more than the batt wire itself where 12 could be enough... some other procedures are also advised depending on alternator used and equipment options
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 01:02 PM

If you are rewiring the car. Why don't you just run the heavy wire from the alternator to the starter relay (which is actually the connection to the battery.

What is this grey wire from bulkhead to the starter?

The only wires to the starter should be a constant power which is the big positive battery wire and a small brown wire from the starter relay.

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 02:13 PM

Quote:

The only wires to the starter should be a constant power which is the big positive battery wire and a small brown wire from the starter relay.

and the yellow one coming from ignition and the blue ( if stock ) fuse link.

The car power demand is still inside the car so thats the point to get the power hook. Unless you run the wire directly to starter relay stud and you are still keeping the stock wire from alt to inside the cab, get JUST the wire from alt to starter realy stud will burn bulkhead by sure.

Only way to make work that extra wire safelly is if you run it as an extra one, but will be "bypassing" the ammeter ( is not really bypass, is really a missread on the system, like no charge/discharge due the big load going on the easier way thorugh both wires )

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 02:30 PM

I made a mistake. I went and made corrections in my first post so you know what I am talking about.

The wires I am referring to are the small red wire that goes from the positive battery post to the starter relay on the firewall and the grey wire from the starter relay to the starter itself.

I notice that the stock wires that route to the starter relay have hard black rubber blocks near the connector ends...what purpose do these rubber blocks serve? I will try to post a pic of them.

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 02:31 PM

Quote:

Do you still have a fusible link?

I still have the factory fusible link.

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 02:49 PM

What are the black rubber blocks for near the end of the wire connectors which go to the starter relay?

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 03:06 PM

simply terminal isolation...

oh ok thats the grey wire... I think normally is black... maybe faded ?
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 03:51 PM

Quote:

What are the black rubber blocks for near the end of the wire connectors which go to the starter relay?

these two wires look like the ones going to the starter relay.

Attached picture 5919485-starterrelay.jpg
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 03:54 PM

here too

Attached picture 5919490-starterrelay2.jpg

Re: Will 10 gauge wire work for battery to bulk head and... - 04/11/10 04:18 PM

yes those are... rubber blocks are simply terminal/wire splice insulation
© 2024 Moparts Forums