Moparts

Autometer Fuel Gauge?

Posted By: justinp61

Autometer Fuel Gauge? - 04/09/10 12:00 AM

Has anyone used one in their ride? Did it work ok? Which one? Either the limiter or the gauge is junk in my Dart. It has a replacement sending unit that so far the ohms check close to where they should be. The readings were erratic until I soldered a wire from the float arm to the pick up tube.

Attached picture 5914818-IMG_1980.JPG
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Autometer Fuel Gauge? - 04/09/10 12:44 AM

If you get one with the correct ohm range, yes, it will work fine with a stock sender like yours. Of course, you don't use the limiter with an aftermarket gauge.

Also, direct from an Autometer tech: "FYI", the gauges are calibrated to match a factory sender, which is very non-linear. 10 ohms = Full, 25 ohms = 1/2, 50 ohms = Empty, and 73 ohms = below Empty. With this said, most after market, or reproduction senders are built linear which means that E & F will be correct, but everything in between will be skewed.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Autometer Fuel Gauge? - 04/09/10 03:13 AM

Quote:

The readings were erratic until I soldered a wire from the float arm to the pick up tube.

Might continue w that and outside the tank make sure the sending unit nipple is connected to the fuel line so you know that the ground side of the circuit is OK.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Autometer Fuel Gauge? - 04/09/10 09:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The readings were erratic until I soldered a wire from the float arm to the pick up tube.

Might continue w that and outside the tank make sure the sending unit nipple is connected to the fuel line so you know that the ground side of the circuit is OK.

After I soldered the wire the ohm readings were steady no matter where I hooked the ground on the sending unit.

Is the voltage limiter available new anywhere?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Autometer Fuel Gauge? - 04/09/10 01:02 PM

Quote:

After I soldered the wire the ohm readings were steady no matter where I hooked the ground on the sending unit.
Is the voltage limiter available new anywhere?

Alright the ground side is good. Not sure if new VL's are available and I'd recommend an electronic version of the VL
© 2024 Moparts Forums