Moparts

Any good front suspension/steering books out there?

Posted By: Mopwr69

Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/08/10 05:36 PM

Does anyone know if there are any books written that explains front suspension setups specifically for our older Mopars. Something that would cover easy to understand basics of front end alignment, and be able to understand the effects of different caster/camber settings. Thanks to all that respond.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/08/10 06:04 PM

I have found nothing specific to Mopar as most chassis books are generic. The best book I have is written by Herb Adams -

http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engineering-HP1055-Herb-Adams/dp/1557880557
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/08/10 06:06 PM

This is a really good book, but I can't be sure it's still available.

Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/08/10 07:47 PM

For Mopar specific stuff, Performance Mopar Handling by Mark Martin. I think it has gone by differing names over the years.

For overall suspension info and analysis way beyond anything I've ever found for mopars, Building the Pro Stock/Late Modle Sportsman by Steve Smith. While almost all GM specific, it give great info about geometry, impact of changes, inter-relationshipa of everything and optimization of stock style and fabricated chassis.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/08/10 08:26 PM

The Mopar chassis is just a basic double a-arm setup so generic suspension theory will cover most of it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/08/10 08:45 PM

The Mark Martin suspension book. $15 to your door. Send a PM

Attached picture 5914499-markmartinsuspensionbook.jpg
Posted By: Mopwr69

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/10/10 08:33 PM

Thanks guys for your advice and recommendations. I will be ordering these books and try to learn some basic theory before I go ahead and make any changes. Thanks again!
Posted By: 71Dusterdan

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/11/10 01:59 AM

PM sent!!!! I used to own that book as a kid, it is long since gone!!!! I would kill for it if it still available. Phone number in your pm box. Thanks
Posted By: 71Dusterdan

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/11/10 02:00 AM

ooops....that is what you call thread mining!! hahahaha
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/11/10 02:12 AM

Quote:

PM sent!!!! I used to own that book as a kid, it is long since gone!!!! I would kill for it if it still available.

I wish I'd have known your feelings before I threw out $15 . YOU have a PM and YES it is (going to be) yours
Posted By: Lifsgrt

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/11/10 03:41 AM

Performance Handling for Mopars mentioned above will greatly improve your handling if you follow the recommendations. Highly recommend that one if you are not in love with the no-feel power steering.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/12/10 02:36 AM

Martin's book was later reprinted with a new title - something like Mopar Super Street
Yes - it specifically covers Chrysler torsion bar and transverse bar suspensions. You should also look through the Master Technician Conference booklets at the Imperial Club website.

Fred Puhn's How to Make Your Car Handle should also be considered. You won't find mopar specific setups (or any specific setups for that matter) but good explanation of theory, and then how to tune and modify. He even covers basics for drag race suspension setup.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/12/10 03:19 AM

The Mopar suspension book is out of print. Even Puhn's handling book is out of print. Not sure why, that was a great book as was his brake book.

I'll have a Mopar performance upgrade book finished in a few months that will cover a lot of suspension and brake stuff.
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: Any good front suspension/steering books out there? - 04/12/10 12:14 PM

I think Amazon still has Puhn's book for sale.
© 2024 Moparts Forums