Moparts

Turn Signal Problem...

Posted By: cuda_tim

Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 12:25 PM

Hi Guys, I have a 1978 Dodge Aspen, and lately my turn signals have been acting up.

Both signals will turn on, then occasionally stop flashing, when turning left or right. They will either:

1) not flash from git-go,
2) will flash normally,
3) will flash normally then stop,
4) will flash then stop then re-start.

All the lights are fine.

Any clue on where to start? Bad relay? If so, is there only one?

Thanks!

Tim...
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 12:37 PM

Sounds like your 552 flasher is bad.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 12:43 PM

Or that your battery is low and the alternator isn't charging enough to keep up the voltage needed to trip the breaker/flasher till it is up off engine idle or up to faster engine speeds.

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 12:51 PM

Quote:

Does it control both turn signals?

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 12:52 PM

Quote:

Or that your battery is low and the alternator isn't charging enough to keep up the voltage needed to trip the breaker/flasher till it is up off engine idle or up to faster engine speeds.

Speed doesn't seem to matter. Although it does affect it some. I can be going down the road at 50mpg and the turn signal will work but then stop.
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 12:52 PM

Yes it does... (Flasher works both turn signals)
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 01:26 PM

Quote:

yes most likely & there's another flasher for the emergency flashers so pull the right one. Pull on the E flashers & pull the can that is not clicking. IF not the flasher can, clean sockets & check bulbs.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Speed doesn't seem to matter. Although it does affect it some. I can be going down the road at 50mpg and the turn signal will work but then stop.

Making turns @ 50mph??!!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/03/08 02:07 PM

Try to clean your battery posts and clamps and make sure that they are good and tight and have shiny connections. Check grounds& flasher. There should be 2 of them one for the 4 ways and the other for the turn signals.

Re: Turn Signal Problem... - 08/04/08 03:04 PM

[quote Making turns @ 50mph??!!

Sure, don't you?

Obviously I wouldn't try it with a Furd or Chev...

But seriously, I just tried using the signals (at that speed) in order to check and see if it did have something to do with my charging system.

And it didn't...

Swapping out the relay fixed it.

Thanks, guys!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums