Moparts

Rallye gauge question

Posted By: GKMOPAR

Rallye gauge question - 04/07/10 03:31 AM

I can't get the rallye gauges working in my 1970 Challenger. I have replaced the instrument regulator and condensor. I am getting 12 volts to the regulator. I have tried to ground rear of panel with a jumper wire. The alternator gauge and tach work but not the fuel, oil pressure or temp gauges don't. I don't know what else to try.
Gerry.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Rallye gauge question - 04/07/10 03:58 AM

Do you have 12V going into the regulator..
Its 5V output feeds the guages.

Just my $0.01..
Posted By: rss

Re: Rallye gauge question - 04/08/10 05:40 AM

With 5 volts going into one side of gauge do you get a voltage reading on the other side?

If not, you've got an open circuit inside the gauge. Windings in gauge may be toasted.

This happens if the voltage limiter ever failed in the closed position, which sends a full 12 volts through your gauges and fries every one of them.

Happened on my rallye gauge set. I use the RT Engineering limiter now.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Rallye gauge question - 04/08/10 01:03 PM

Quote:

I can't get the rallye gauges working in my 1970 Challenger. I have replaced the instrument regulator and condensor. I am getting 12 volts to the regulator. I have tried to ground rear of panel with a jumper wire. The alternator gauge and tach work but not the fuel, oil pressure or temp gauges don't. I don't know what else to try.
Gerry.

There are only two things in common with the malfunctioning gauges: Ground and the 5 volt regulator. Check the octopus that comes off of the regulator for 5 volts. Use the ground that you have jumpered. If the 5 volts is there, bad news. As mentioned previously, a shorted regulator will pass 12 volts to the gauges and will fry all of the ones it feeds. It does not take much time for this to happen.
Good luck,
Craig
Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: Rallye gauge question - 04/11/10 03:54 AM

You'll only get a steady 5V from the regulator if it's an upgraded electronic version. If it's old style, you'll see 12v jumps on your voltmeter needle (it averages 5v over time), Your problem seems to be in the reg...
Good luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums