Moparts

Nasty Smelling Gear Lube

Posted By: DUFFMAN

Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:12 AM

I haven't smelled anything this nasty since I worked at a Jeep dealer and the parts manager opened a bottle of quadra-trac adative under my nose. This was not the same smell but just as bad.

It's a 1972 B-body with 8 1/4" rear. I took the cover off to drain the fluid and it almost smells burn't. Besides the normal greenish colored fluid there was a grayish "sludge" in it.

Do I have burnt gear lube or is there some sort of addative (limited slip) that makes it smell like that? Should I be concerned?

The car has 58k original miles but the rear end fluid has been changed because there was RTV on the diff cover. Also it's an open rear, not limited slip.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:27 AM

Rear gear lube just stinks...period.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:30 AM

I don't even remember the name of it, anymore, but the ORIGINAL "whale oil" stuff for suregrip just smelled horrid.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:37 AM

Quote:

How does it taste ?

Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:37 AM

Quote:

I love the smell of 80W90 gear oil. Call me

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:57 AM

Quote:

I know what gear lube is supposed to smell like an it's like roses compared to this stuff. It's like an electrical fire, but 10X stronger.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I know what gear lube is supposed to smell like an it's like roses compared to this stuff. It's like an electrical fire, but 10X stronger.

Posted By: 68Bullit

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 04:07 AM

Ah yes. Can't beat the smell of differential lube. Glad you like the odor

Posted By: Mopar72Man

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 04:12 AM

good luck on trying to sleep in the same room with the wife after dealing with gear lube, and showering twice.
Posted By: pyp1000

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 04:14 AM

Smells like victory! No. Wait. That's the smell of napalm in the morning. Wrong substance.

Gear lube just smells awful.
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 04:49 AM

The greyish sludge sounds like it might be water/moisture that has gotten in there over time...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 11:53 AM

Use a magnet and see if the sludge is ferrous, sticks to the magnet. If so it's metal, probably from the gears and/or bearings. If not then it's likely a contaminate.

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:11 PM

Maybe sludge isn't a good word to describe what I'm seeing. The gray is just as viscous as the rest, thats why I think it's some sort of addative. That and it smells almost as nasty of some addatives I've smelt in the past.

Whats odd is that it's open rear so I don't understand what or why someone would have used an addative.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 01:53 PM

Skunk Juice!!!! Is what we affectionately call it. Try and get that stuff off you if you were unfortunate enough to be under it when you opened it.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 02:39 PM

My wife threw away one of my best work t-shirts when I got the stuff on it. She said she didn't want it stinking up the house....Shhhhsh women.
Posted By: GTXWagon

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 03:08 PM

We call it "Liquid Death" ......
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 04:51 PM

When a buddy got married, our honeymoon joke was to soak a rag in "Skunk Oil" and put it under the rear seat of the car that the were driving to Niagra Falls.
Posted By: pyp1000

Re: Nasty Smelling Gear Lube - 08/03/08 04:54 PM

Quote:

Maybe sludge isn't a good word to describe what I'm seeing. The gray is just as viscous as the rest, thats why I think it's some sort of addative. That and it smells almost as nasty of some addatives I've smelt in the past.

Whats odd is that it's open rear so I don't understand what or why someone would have used an addative.

That's easy to explain. sometimes people try that to quiet a noisy pinion or bearing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums