Moparts

flywheel and pressure plate question

Posted By: 70sixpkrt

flywheel and pressure plate question - 04/06/10 01:15 AM

I am doing a clutch job on my Charger and just wondering after I get my flywheel resurfaced, what is good to clean the flywheel and pressure plate with? I heard nail polish remover on a paper towel is good. Just double checking.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: flywheel and pressure plate question - 04/06/10 01:22 AM

brake kleen or starting fluid w some paper towels is fine and I'd not clean them until the 'wheel is on and you are ready to bolt the disc/pp up there that way you clean them of oils and your fingerprints at the same time. EDIT a buck fifty can of spray starting fluid will clean the disc and if it's going to be awhile 'till you go together (which I dont is the case here) leaving everything oily will keep them from flash rusting and as you know dont let any oil/grease get near the disc surfaces as it will soak in
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: flywheel and pressure plate question - 04/06/10 09:53 PM

I wouldn't use starting fluid as a degreaser, some brands contain an upper cylinder lubricant for ring protection.
Posted By: GTXX

Re: flywheel and pressure plate question - 04/07/10 03:43 AM

nail polish remover can have stuff in it to keep from drying skin. plain old rubbing alcohol is clean, laquer thinner, acetone are good too.
Posted By: therocks

Re: flywheel and pressure plate question - 04/07/10 01:27 PM

I agree Brake clean.Ive used that only for years.Other stuff can have additives.Starting fluid is bad stuff.One spark while cleaning and poof.You are on fire especially if you are in a building.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: flywheel and pressure plate question - 04/07/10 02:22 PM

Alright I'll ditch the starting fluid
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: flywheel and pressure plate question - 04/08/10 01:39 AM

Brake cleen it is.
© 2024 Moparts Forums