Moparts

Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites

Posted By: stryker63

Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites - 04/05/10 05:31 AM

Hello again,

I will be running an 8 1/4" rear end in my '73 Duster (mildly built 5.2L Magnum).

I want to use an A904 or A999/A998 TF, but my question is...Lockup or non-Lockup?

The car will not be raced and won't see a dragstrip, but rather be more of an avenue cruiser and weekend driver.

Thanks again for any help.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites - 04/05/10 11:57 AM

non lock up for hot rodding

lock up for MPGs

I use a stock high stall lock up A999 in my 85 truck

it works and gives it some pep with the high stall TC

it should be fine for what you want to do,IMHO
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites - 04/05/10 03:12 PM

I thought the problem with the lockup 3sp's is the lockup engages at a certain speed, regardless of throttle pressure, meaning at WOT the lockup clutch has to sustain the full hp of the engine. Either way, if you buy a lockup trans, there's a kit out there you can install to disable the lockup.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites - 04/05/10 06:59 PM

Quote:

I thought the problem with the lockup 3sp's is the lockup engages at a certain speed, regardless of throttle pressure, meaning at WOT the lockup clutch has to sustain the full hp of the engine. Either way, if you buy a lockup trans, there's a kit out there you can install to disable the lockup.

It will only lockup in third so if you have it floored, it will only go into lockup after it settles into third. Without WOT, it locks at about 30 again, after it shifts to 3rd.
There is also a kit that delays the lockup to 40 mph to eliminate shudder with the lockup.
Craig
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites - 04/05/10 07:08 PM

at WOT going into 3rd the pressure is high enuff it hits 3rd already locked up

not good on the TC clutch

from what I have read anyways
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites - 04/05/10 10:15 PM

The late 80's-on 904's have an electric input that will unlock the converter on command or prevent lockup if energized.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Lockup vs. non-lockup Torqueflites - 04/06/10 11:42 PM

One good thing about later lock-up 904's is that many had a 2.71 low gear set. I'm just not sure exactly what to look for or the years.
© 2024 Moparts Forums