Moparts

Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod

Posted By: beatgoeson

Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/03/10 10:55 PM

Anybody have any ideas or tricks for removing a fuel pump pushrod thats flattend on the cam end. without tearing eveything apart?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/03/10 11:19 PM

Most folks just remove the mechanical pump and go electric when that happens--I talked to Herb McCandless the other day and he even had to do it on his high $$ Imperial that he does the Power Tour with etc--Mopar sold a TON of soft crappy quality FP p rods at one time and that is the problem--Sorry to hear your trouble.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/03/10 11:25 PM

Thanks The rods only a little over a year old , Why does mopar sell that junk? really suck because its on a restored car so I really wanted the stock fuel pump without resorting to Elec.
Now I'm curious how much metel went in my engine.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/03/10 11:49 PM

If that pushrod is that trashed on cam end, I'd be wondering about the state of cam eccentric. bummer. I keep a few survivor pushrods around and trust them more than new ones. If that little 45 degree bevel is still on both ends, I'm using em.
Posted By: nz383man

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 12:04 AM

I suffered the same problem with the worn pushrod but I was lucky once I finially got the plug out the rod came out with a magnet.

I understand the quality issues people are speaking of but some of the failures could be caused by the oil companies slowly but surely decreasing the zinc content in the oil & for the type of cam, lifters etc we use in these cool old engines we NEED that zinc.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 12:28 AM

Believe me I use zink oil assy lube on the rod everything. This rod probably has less then 500 miles on it this is nuts. The lobe is still moving the rod I cranked it with the pump off but the pumps just not pushing the fuel up. I pulled the plug but the rod hits a stop I assume the end looks like a nail now.
Posted By: reflections7

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 12:31 AM

went to electric pump when mine did it. was scared the cam would be messed up so mallory 110

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 01:00 AM

theres been problems with the pushrods years ago, soft metal mushrooming the pushrod. it happened to my 68 hemi rr.
the metal will be soft enough to wiggle out with visegrips on the pushrod.
id be looking for a different brand other than mopar performance as this is a reoccuring problem.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 01:16 AM

Funny you should say as this is also a 68 hemi Roadrunner ! must be a curse. I don't think I could get any vice grips in the opening with the jaws opened enough to grap the rod. What did you use?
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 01:25 AM

Had the same thing happen to my new engine, I used needle nose vicegrips and did a lot of wiggling, eventually the rod came out. It took a lot of cussing. Be patient the metal is soft enough that the mushroom will curl up. Since then I have never bought another Mopar Performance part. Never will either. That was a $6,000.00 engine almost ruined by a $20 piece of garbage. Went to the salvage yard and got one out of an old car, no problems since.
Posted By: 69bfan

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 01:51 AM

A trick that has worked for me in the past is to take a box end wrench if you have enough room to get it into the open and slide it over the rod. As you push on the other end of the wrench, it will put pressure on the rod as a fulcrum action and will hopefully move for you. A flare nut wrench may also have to be used if it has fallen futher down towards the fuel pump arm, yet still be stuck up in the motor. Good luck!!!

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 07:35 AM

OK lets say these good tips work & he gets it out, who makes a good rod to replace the crap MP one?

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 12:29 PM

Use "vintage" old ones--always! There are still some of the crappy batch out there on shelves--they had a rough finish on the tips--looked like they were done on a belt sander
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 02:49 PM

Man... I thought MP solved this problem years ago

Thanks.. I just picked up a new one before x-mas.. I guess I will be re-using the old one.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 03:05 PM

Quote:

Man... I thought MP solved this problem years ago.

That's what I had thought
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 03:38 PM

Why fix it when people are still buying the one they have??? MP = Quality.... NOT!!!!!

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 04:24 PM

Update!! I got it out this morning! I used needle nosed pliers and worked for 10 min. The metal was so soft it just flaked off. Beware I bought it new about a year ago from my friend at the dealership parts dept. Compairing it to the old one it has lost a good 3/16th. to 1/4" on the cam end. Now What would you guys recommend on removing a 1/4" of shaved metal from my motor?
I will change the oil and filter but , I guess I should drop the pad too? Now I need to find a good seasonded rod. Thanks for the help and if you have a MP pushrod lay around lose it! I will post a picture later.
Posted By: ireland383

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 05:21 PM

Good to hear you got it out. The one I just ordered from Mancini is already starting to mushroom I pulled it out right away. What a piece of doodoo.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 05:23 PM

My new one (dont remem where I got it) has concentric rings on the end like tree trunk rings. I'm wondering if it's one of the bad ones
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 05:26 PM

Quote:

My new one (dont remem where I got it) has concentric rings on the end like tree trunk rings. I'm wondering if it's one of the bad ones

I think that IS a bad one. I bought a MP rod back in the 90's that had rings (sort of irregular rings as I recall), I ended up using the nice looking 30 year old original one instead.
A rough surface sliding against metal cant be good.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 05:32 PM

Pac thanks for the heads up. I'm wondering if any other vendor makes a (known) good one.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 08:29 PM

I hope the one from 440Source doesnt have this problem

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/04/10 08:39 PM

the way i found out i was having this problem is my motor would not stay running, i'd pour a little fuel down the carb and she would fire and then a few seconds later, my engine would stall, at 1st i thought it was the fuel pump but when i dropped the fuel pump, the pushrod wouldnt come out. after finally removing it, it lost a good 1/4" and it was totally mushroomed, i saved it for years over my kitchen sink, i just threw it out a few months ago.
i think i put another MP one in, i havent had a problem yet but i think i need to inspect it again.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/05/10 12:45 AM

I see Moroso, Comp, Crane, Howards etc etc make the fuel pump pushrods for small & big block Chevs but not BB Mopars

As a turner I would have no problem making a pushrod but what to make it from & the hardening process is what's stopping me, any expert advice?

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/05/10 01:59 AM

Quote:

As a turner I would have no problem making a pushrod but what to make it from & the hardening process is what's stopping me, any expert advice?

That's a good idea

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/05/10 08:18 AM

Jegs Chev push rod - Precision made from 4130 chrome moly tubing. Made in the USA.

Moroso - Lightweight design with hardened ends reduces reciprocating mass

ARP - They're made from premium grade aerospace chrome moly and centerless ground to precise diameter. A hollow core serves to reduce the reciprocating mass.

Barry Grant - Special lightweight high strength tubular push rod.

Comp Cams - Lightweight tubing with bronze tip for steel cams, Lightweight tubing For cast iron cams.

Manley - These pushrod is made for 4130 chrome mole steel tubing.

Carter - Chromemoly

Crane - Chromemoly

MP - Chromemoly

Crower - The Crower fuel pump pushrod is manufactured from lightweight steel tubing that is heat-treated for added strength. The bronze tip ensures proper surface mating with the fuel pump eccentric lobe on 8620 steel billet camshafts. This surface compatibility eliminates the wear problems associated with stock designs. For cast iron hydraulic and solid cams they offer a lightweight model with a steel tip at each end to protects against wear.

Well I guess I'm going to have a crack at making my own, from my experiance & the horror stories I hear here I can't do much worse than MP

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/05/10 11:51 AM

Thats for sure, I can't believe none of the manufacturers mentioned make one for Mopar its Frustrating. I'm not sure what to do I may call 440 Source today but that may just be the Mopar piece as well.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/05/10 02:17 PM

Quote:

I may call 440 Source today but that may just be the Mopar piece as well.

Do post what they have to say and if I get one of theirs I might take it out after a period of time & simply check it.
Posted By: fuseable

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/05/10 02:40 PM

What is the length of a new pushrod?

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/05/10 02:43 PM

I think 3&1/4" on the nose

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/08/10 10:15 AM

I found the length given for a MP P529569 pushrod was 3.242" looks like they built .008" of wear into it from new
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/08/10 02:17 PM

What is the diameter? If it is a common size, maybe a guy could get a drop scrap of O1 or other good tool steel from a machine shop. A drop that length might be free. Or they might cut to length for a nominal fee. Just a thought...
Posted By: riverman

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/08/10 03:18 PM

After all the talk on this thread, I pulled out the new one I put in this February along with a new fuel pump and vapor separator.

Be aware - it was starting to hollow out on one end, this after less than 600 miles. The old rod had been in up to 103,000 miles (I've put on 3000 miles since I got it so at least that many) and there is absolutely no wear on the face of both ends. Got the rod at Mancini's just before Christmas so the current batch is highly suspect. Calling Mancini to alert them to the situation. Thanks for all your help. Saved an engine.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/09/10 10:55 AM

Quote:

What is the diameter? If it is a common size, maybe a guy could get a drop scrap of O1 or other good tool steel from a machine shop. A drop that length might be free. Or they might cut to length for a nominal fee. Just a thought...

The one I took out was a couple of thou under 7/16"

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/09/10 09:31 PM

Quote:

After all the talk on this thread, I pulled out the new one I put in this February along with a new fuel pump and vapor separator.

Be aware - it was starting to hollow out on one end, this after less than 600 miles. The old rod had been in up to 103,000 miles (I've put on 3000 miles since I got it so at least that many) and there is absolutely no wear on the face of both ends. Got the rod at Mancini's just before Christmas so the current batch is highly suspect. Calling Mancini to alert them to the situation. Thanks for all your help. Saved an engine.

What did Mancini say? I emailed them about mine and will report their response.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/09/10 10:01 PM

Two days - no response. No thank you, we will look into it, etc.
Posted By: charger RTSE

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/10/10 09:49 AM

I bought one Airtex brand.On the box it says made in USA.
Any problems with this brand?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/10/10 11:22 AM

I am fixing to up the stock fuel pump on my 440

was gonna use a carter or holley pump

whats the opinion here..stay with the 75,000 mile stock one thats in there..correct??

should i even see if it will come out and measure it any ways??

this is

I am at the piont of doing the fuel line plumbing and could go elect or mech

I need longevity out of either one

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/10/10 01:32 PM

Quote:

the 75,000 mile stock one thats in there..correct??
should i even see if it will come out and measure it any ways??

Michael pull it and see where you're at, nothing beats a good ole fashioned visual inspection and if you dont you wont know how it's holding up so far
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/11/10 01:39 PM

I think I will do that for sure now

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/27/10 06:44 PM

Quote:

Two days - no response. No thank you, we will look into it, etc.

Well, Their response to me was it must have been something I did wrong lubrication, wrong spring pressure on my fuel pump, bad eccentric on cam. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and checked all. Used Valvoline VR1 With a zinc additive as well. Plenty of lube. Stock fuel pump and the eccentric was perfect. So buyer beware! Pretty sad customer service.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/27/10 07:38 PM

Cheers for the feedback,
I was very interested to hear what they had to say.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/28/10 01:00 PM

I received no return message. (and i did not ask for anything but a reply) Well maybe someone will buy one of these rods, does something to their engine and then Mancini receives a lawsuit letter. That might get their attention.

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 04/28/10 09:19 PM

I just got an email saying to return the rod for a refund or store credit. I guess it pays to complain. Shipping is $5 bucks for a $15 part.
Posted By: 68charger440strk

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 09/10/15 09:23 PM

Old thread, but I just had my original pushrod eaten up by my Carter high volume pump, so beware if you are running those pumps. I checked the specs on the pushrod when I installed the carter about 3000 miles ago and it was within specs. Now it is only 3" long and shot, and like I said that was an original pushrod, not a replacement. I have seen now that others have had problems with the carter high volume pumps being too stiff, and eating pushrods.
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 09/11/15 07:55 AM

68, what oil are you running , brand and weight? {original 68 pushrod lasted 40 years}? ronnie
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 09/11/15 10:07 PM

I did find that 440source is currently selling some original Chrysler pump rods refinished....After reading this thread I am ordering one before I put the engine in the RR... i will eat the $15 I spent at Rock Auto....
Posted By: Jim_S

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 09/12/15 09:42 AM

I put one of these in my 383 from Hughes Engines.
Hardened fuel pump push rod.

It is part number HUG 10010

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=fuel+pump+push+rod
Posted By: Dr Dave

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 09/12/15 07:55 PM

Moroso makes a rod with hardend ends for BB
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 09/13/15 07:06 AM

I bought one of ebag from Rick Ehrenberg part#2463921 he claims NOS OEM hardened steel Max Wedge/426 Hemi pushrod $36.00.I don't see any rings on the end/tip of it.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Freeing stuck fuel pump pushrod - 09/13/15 08:35 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that I had a comp cams pushrod go south in under 300 miles last year. They had no explanation but offered me a free replacement. I said NO THANKS! Dug into my stash and had 2 mopar performance ones that I bought 30 years ago. N beer ow I only have one bawling
© 2024 Moparts Forums