Moparts

Radiator Plugged Cleaning It?

Posted By: ScottG

Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/28/10 03:17 PM

Hey Guys, I have been working on my friends 67 Coronet that he put a 360 in. We bought a used 26" radiator at a swap meet for $30 and put it in. The car is getting a little warm and when I feel the front of the radiator some areas are cooler than others. I took it back out and ran a hose in it and the water came out as fast as it was going in. But I did get some junk to come out and there is some scale built up in it. Is there any product or home remedies that would clean it out or should I bring it to get cooked at a radiator shop?

Thanks Scott!
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/28/10 03:21 PM

I have used a mild solution of LYE ... but be careful too harsh of a solution will EAT UP the cores.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/28/10 03:25 PM

Years ago, I knew someone who capped the lower hose fitting and filled the radiator with CLR and let it sit a while, then flushed it out...seemed to help abit

(I just would have brought it to the local radiator shop myself and let them boil it out )
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/28/10 03:30 PM

How warm, what stat, Check the stat opening suspended in a pot of water on the stove w a candy thermometer, drill 1/16" hole for easier fillup/air pockets, around town or hiway, what fan, shroud?, fan spacing, timing good. The 360 ran cool in the donor?, call the rad shop & at least price a boilout
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/29/10 01:06 AM

The radiator shop should be able to remove the tanks and rod it out if the core is worthy
Posted By: Dirk

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/29/10 04:46 AM

I also used the CLR method by laying the rad on it's front with cap on. Fill it 2/3 of the way with CLR and slosh it around every 30 minutes or so for an afternoon. If it is calcium scale from using tap water, it will dissolve in a few hours.
If you can see the tubes inside, you can see which are plugged when you slosh it back and forth.
It is a cheap fix if it works!
Hope this helps.
Posted By: ScottG

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/29/10 09:50 AM

Thanks Guys, It's going to the radiator shop so we know its done right!

Scott!
Posted By: High Impact

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/29/10 12:02 PM

I was always told to fill it with white vingar, like when cleaning a coffee pot. Vingar is a excellent cleaning agent.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Radiator Plugged Cleaning It? - 03/29/10 12:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks Guys, It's going to the radiator shop so we know its done right!

Scott!

I agree with this. The other ways are quicky band aides but don't really get the job done right.. Take it in and have it rodded out and it will last as long as you will need it and longer. It may cost a little more but it is done right.
© 2024 Moparts Forums