Moparts

coolant leak

Posted By: dd340

coolant leak - 03/27/10 03:44 PM

I am trying to figure out how I got a coolant leak that seems to have developed over the winter. It is a fairly small trickle but over a day or 2 it is enough to lose alot of coolant. It appears to be between the block and the timing cover, right at the top of the cover, just below the head. Is there a water jacket in this space, I thought it was just oil behind the timing cover. I am pretty certain it is not dripping down from the head or the intake. Is it possible to come from between the gasket of the timing cover and the block?
Posted By: johnedod

Re: coolant leak - 03/27/10 03:51 PM

If it's a small block it could be leaking at the timing cover.
Posted By: dd340

Re: coolant leak - 03/27/10 03:57 PM

yes it is a small block. Is there a water jacket there? I assume I will need to change the timing cover gasket?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: coolant leak - 03/27/10 04:02 PM

How old of a build is it? You can try cranking all the water pump bolts down first.
Posted By: johnedod

Re: coolant leak - 03/27/10 04:06 PM

Yes the water has to go through the timing cover to get to the water pump. Changing the gasket is pretty straight forward, remember to loosen the front 4 or 5 oil pan bolts on each side (completely remove the front 2, they screw into the cover). You'll need a harmonic balancer puller. Also when you put the new gasket and the cover back on, start the balancer on the end of the crank before you tighten the cover bolts, it will center the front seal on the crank. The small block Mopar doesn't have dowels to center the timing cover.
© 2024 Moparts Forums