Moparts

"OOTB" Eddy heads issues

Posted By: fst340rt

"OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/13/10 08:15 PM

I have a new set of Eddy heads (6077) and since I will be using stock NON adjustable rockers I decided to check the valve stem tips with a straightedge to make sure that they are even.

I found that the intake valve tip on cyl.#5 is .005" higher than the rest. On the other head I found that the intake valve tip on cyl.#2 is .007" higher than the rest. In a smaller scale most of the other tips don't do much better...

Are there any tolerances that apply here or should I take them to a machine shop for correction that seems to be common with these "Precision-Machined" heads.

I'll appeciate your replies.
Posted By: therocks

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/13/10 08:31 PM

Most times its best to have them checked.I know they had a problem with tight guides.There really is no such thing as out of the box.Best to at least have them checked.They are mass produced and tolerances arent that great.Rocky
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/13/10 10:11 PM

The hydraulic lifters will easily eat up that little difference and your motor will never know it. I would be more concerned with actual valve spring installed height, quality of the valve job and how tight the valve guides are. Really a lot of guys run them OOTB I'm sure.
Posted By: 67dodge67

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/13/10 10:58 PM

Quote:

The hydraulic lifters will easily eat up that little difference and your motor will never know it. I would be more concerned with actual valve spring installed height, quality of the valve job and how tight the valve guides are. Really a lot of guys run them OOTB I'm sure.

I only checked p/v clearance when I pulled them out of the box and put them on. All good... no problems...
Posted By: 383man

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 03:43 AM

Quote:

I agree. My son took his heads out of the box and bolted them on. Ran it 3 years like that before he decided to do some mild porting on them. When we checked them they were good. Ron
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 04:08 AM

been driving my 73 Duster with a set of OOTB eddy heads for a good 5 yrs now.

I am using a set of old crane ductile iron rockers arms.
Posted By: dave571

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 04:52 AM

Quote:

I found that the intake valve tip on cyl.#5 is .005" higher than the rest. On the other head I found that the intake valve tip on cyl.#2 is .007" higher than the rest. In a smaller scale most of the other tips don't do much better...

FWIW, I doubt very much that the oem iron heads were any closer when they were new. In fact, I'd be surprised if they were even that close.

As mentioned, the lifters will take that up.
Posted By: moper

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 11:34 AM

Just my opinion but if the seat heights are off, seems to me the guides and seat concentricity might be off too. That's what I usually find and thats' why i have every set corrected. I didnt buy $1600 worth of head to not get everything I can for it.

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 06:37 PM

Thank you for your replies .My engine is a 340 that has been zero decked using trw forged pistons and an XE 268 cam and #822 hyd. lifters.

Ok,this is what I've done so far (more bad news) .I installed the heads using arp bolts and Felpro 1008 gaskets.I used an adjustable pushrod to find zero lash between rocker and lifter using the recommended procedure. I also used the EO/IC method for correct base circle location.

I checked each one of the eight cylinders for pushrod length using an 8" digital caliper and here are the results .
INTAKE ~ 7.437"/7.415"/7.445"/7.418"//7.427"/7.438"/7.426"/7.437"
EXHAUST ~
7.434"/7.445"/7.452"/t442"//7.447"/7.429"/7.451"/7.425"
I must add that I double checked and triple checked with consistent results.
So what's next ? A possibilty appears to be using a set of custom made pushrods ( Smith Bros. comes to my mind) for a 030" to 040" preload recommended by CC for the 822 hyd. lifters that I will be using.

Or maybe I should bite the bullet and buy another set of 1008 gaskets and take my heads to a ( reputable)machine shop and get everything squared away ( $$$ addition to the $1600 as suggested by Moper).

Hmm... where did I put those those 'X' heads?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 07:10 PM

I think this is why they recomend adj rocker arms. I have two sets currently running on my cars. 340 & 440 Eddie heads. I use adj rockers on both and both sets have performed great out of the box. I used stock push rods.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 07:33 PM

You can use adjustable pushrods. I don't know who makes them anymore,,you can search, there was a thread on them..
For what you're doing they will work just fine, then you can get your "perfect" pushrod lenght.

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 08:41 PM

Quote:

You can use adjustable pushrods. I don't know who makes them anymore,,you can search, there was a thread on them..
For what you're doing they will work just fine, then you can get your "perfect" pushrod lenght.

Adjustable pushrods are hard to get anymore there must be a reason. Anyway ,I called Smith Bros.And yes they do make them but they do not recommend them for my application reason? not strong enough.Thank you anyway .
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 09:01 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-70009-16/
or small block
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-70006-16/

Re: "OOTB" Eddy heads issues - 03/15/10 09:44 PM

Quote:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-70009-16/
or small block
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-70006-16/

According to Summit , the cro-70006 are designed to fit Small blocks with SOLID lifters and non-adjustable rockers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums