Moparts

overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong???

Posted By: F6F6Dodge

overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 03:06 PM

I have been told told that it is possible to put the head gaskets on wrong on a 440 motor...This would block the flow of coolant to the heads, thus cause overheating problems....Has anyone heard of this??? anyway to check to see if this is the case???
IF I take the water pump housing off and put a water hose in one of the H2O holes in the motor block---will H2O come out the other hole???
How does the coolant circulate through the block??? Any help would be great---at this point I am looking at just taking the motor apart and starting over.....Thanks Again
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 03:18 PM

Head gaskets can go on either way that isn't your problem. Maybe a vapor lock. Pull thermostat housing and thermostat fill block from there and run without stat at first. If you are breaking in the cam at 2200 with no load they often run lean??
maybe up the jets in the primaries till broke in.
vacuum advance should be unhooked and total timing at 38 or 35 good to break in.

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 03:25 PM

the motor has about 600 miles on it for break in time...The H2O temp has come down as we have tried things to help, but the top of the motor get so hot that it wants to Vapor lock on me---(boils the fuel right out of the carbs)....
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 03:45 PM

How far out are the cylinders bored?

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 04:14 PM

.040 over on the bore with flat top pistons----edelbrock 750 cfm carb electronic ignition ---mallory mechanical advance

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 04:15 PM

What carbs?? and what jetting?? Have you tried a different stat or no stat. what shape is the rad in. I once had what I thought was a good rad and it would over heat re cored it and world of difference.
Lean will make it run hot as heck. TRW/Sealed power/Speed pro Power forged pistons with less than .005 clearance will run hot and be hard to start??
Have you checked for a rad hose collapsing??
timing is right??
good fan and shroud???

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 04:17 PM

What cam and vacuum??

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 04:35 PM

New 5 core type radiator-------larger cam--pulls very little vaccuum around 11 pounds I think....standard 750 cfm Edelbrock carb...I'm thinking of taking the car to a Chassis Dyno to see if they can help---does this sound like a good idea or waste of money???
Cam size is the next larger than a six pack size...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 04:59 PM

Quote:

come down as we have tried things to help, but the top of the motor get so hot that it wants to Vapor lock on me---(boils the fuel right out of the carbs)

(1) heat riser (2) retarded timing (3) lean). in that order

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 05:00 PM

Well if your rad hoses are not collapsing and water pump is good and circulating water well (is it) I would look to a lean condition. What kind of head gaskets??
The chassis dyno will give you an O2 reading??

What kind of water pump??

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 05:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

come down as we have tried things to help, but the top of the motor get so hot that it wants to Vapor lock on me---(boils the fuel right out of the carbs)

(1) heat riser (2) retarded timing (3) lean). in that order

I was just on my way to the garage when a stuck heat riser came to mind!!!!

What heads and intake. have you used a temp gun to the intake, heads block!!

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 05:40 PM

Not to sound too dumb----but what do you mean by heat riser???? I have installed the valley pan metal gasket where the heat crosses under the carb are blocked off....
Posted By: stumpy

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 06:10 PM

On the passanger side exhaust manifold the is a flapper that's called the heat riser. If it's closed it will block of the exhaust flow on that side and up goes the engine temp.

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 06:20 PM

Not a dumb Q at all, I learn here every day. the heat riser is the flapper valve on the outlet end of the pass ex manifold but w you having a blocked gasket that would take care of most of that potential heat source. When you start it how soon is it acting up? What do your plugs show? Water flows into the lower holes in the front of the block and flows around and to each cyl from front to rear and goes up into the heads via the holes above and below the cyls then circulates and exits the head(s) at the front of the heads into the large hole in the front block deck & a short turn to the 2 large top horizontle holes at the front of the block & into the pump housing. If you pull the heads I'd block the large hole at the rear of each block deck and drill a 1/2" hole in the deck and heads between cyls 2 & 3 between the head bolt holes (& punch a hole in the gasket) as this is the hottest area w 2 ex valves being paired side by side but I dont want to encourage you to do that at the moment as there is something else going on here

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info----------as far as the heat riser goes---------there is none on the passenger side manifold....the set of manifolds I have, had the riser taken out at some point...

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 06:42 PM

OK no heat riser. Is the timing in the ballpark and what do the plugs look like? On adding an additional cooling passage on each deck/head it is needed between cyls 3&5 and 4&6 sorta between the outer head bolt holes (I'll have to post a pic). The 2&3 I posted was meant to mean between the 2nd and the 3rd cyl rearward from the front (on each bank) which is very misleading. Almost forgot, does it heat up around town or on the interstate or both. EDIT add a 1/2" hole between these 2 head bolt holes but upward in a triangle

Attached picture 5862572-shimheadgaskets.jpg
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 06:58 PM

What kinda fan??? I knew someone that chased overheating problems and it was as simple as a bad clutch on the clutch fan...Would run hot down the highway and really hot in traffic and vapor lock...Could be something simple and not "motor" related. Radiator cores pinched off from leaks and not cooling as much as you think??? Any cool spots on the radiator when the engine's hot? Just a few ideas....

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 07:22 PM

It seems to be better on the interstate at highway speed, but once slowed down in traffic is when the vapor lock situation starts....As far as the fan goes-----I have a 7 blade big pitch after market direct drive fan-----it pulls air through the radiator like a vacuum cleaner.....

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 08:31 PM

Do you have a fan shroud?? makes a huge difference at low speeds!!
Posted By: MoparDan

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 08:50 PM

My new motor was running hot, what made the single biggest difference was a Milodon high volume water pump. for what it's worth
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 09:31 PM

Quote:

It seems to be better on the interstate at highway speed, but once slowed down in traffic is when the vapor lock situation starts....As far as the fan goes-----I have a 7 blade big pitch after market direct drive fan-----it pulls air through the radiator like a vacuum cleaner.....

Ok what's the size of the radiator? I had a similar deal on my 64 Dodge...I went from a 2 core to a 3 core and never had a problem again. It got so hot once on a humid,hot summer night,it vapor locked shut-off & melted the shifter cable and was stuck in high gear...
Example if your using a small block radiator w/22 inch radiator support it will stay hot down the highway but with alot of air it helps get rid of heat under the hood. But then it gets really hot in traffic due to the low volume of water it has to cycle to keep cool even if the fan works great...

EDIT...Sorry I saw your post the one about the new 5 core it that's the case the top and bottom tanks must be huge...If they are stock tanks don't know how that would work...
Posted By: dynamite

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 09:46 PM

I fought for years to get mine to cool..26 in rad 3 different types of cooling fans 2 different radiators ,,would be cool in traffic but heat up at highway speeds..Finally a guy had a radiator out of a Ford V10 pickup,,I made it fit,and with dual cooling fans it has a hard time getting to thermostat temp..I cant get it to run hot...most of the time I don't even use the fans, only when stopped in traffic...

Attached picture 5862863-larrys56small.jpg
Posted By: Mopar1

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/13/10 10:13 PM

Quote:

New 5 core type radiator-------larger cam--pulls very little vaccuum around 11 pounds I think....standard 750 cfm Edelbrock carb...I'm thinking of taking the car to a Chassis Dyno to see if they can help---does this sound like a good idea or waste of money???
Cam size is the next larger than a six pack size...

Are the top and bottom tanks on the new rad stock size or are they larger? If the tanks are stock size I would suspect the rad. If you have 5 cores jammed into a stock tank the cores are going to be a lot smaller and will restrict coolant flow.
Posted By: pacifica

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/14/10 02:11 AM

Have you put a thermometer in the hot coolant to see actual temp? Does the coolant circulate looking in the rad with the cap off?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/14/10 03:10 AM

Mismatched pulley set?

Shroud?

Timing?

That POS Eddy should be OK on the mix not being too lean. Still good idea to look at the plugs.

I 2nd a Milo or Eddy high flow pump. I use the Eddy, have on two BB's. Can't get them hot.

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/14/10 03:07 PM

With a candy thermometer or a good mechanical gauge I'd find out exactly what your temps are (on the hiway and in town). Take the stat out for 1 day (the slower warmup wont hurt you just for 1 day). check for timing in the ballpark. Have a radiator shop suck up some rad coolant into the bottle and see if the blue fluid turns yellow (indicates a combustion leak) or if you have an emissions testing station close by have them stick the probe into the top of the rad & see if combustion gasses are present (you'll know in seconds). check for a vac leak (not sure the best way to do that). What do your plugs look like. You have a 5 row rad
Posted By: nz383man

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/15/10 04:46 AM

Is your new radiator still clean?
Was your block hot tanked?
I had a 383 block that sat for some time with the water galleries exposed to the air & once I started the engine & warmed it up scale started coming out & blocking the tubes in my top tank. I didn't think to check the radiator for some time as I had just re-cored it so I blamed everything else first. I had to get the tanks removed, core rodded re-soldered & I fitted a filter sock on the top hose nipple(& along inside the top tank), which I took off & cleaned every couple of weeks until all the scale had gone. Then I removed the sock & everything was back to normal.
I don't think the "rebuilt" engine I bought was hot tanked!
The scale in the block would not have helped with the cooling either.

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/15/10 09:20 PM

The radiator still looks clean--there doesn't seem to be any scale build up.....
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a water pump in a 440 motor that has a/c vs. one without a/c???? if so--where can I get one??? I was told the regular pump has 8 blades and the a/c one only has 6 blades to push the water......Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/15/10 10:00 PM

Quote:

I was told the regular pump has 8 blades and the a/c one only has 6 blades

Correct, as an A/C setup has a different pulley ratio to turn the WP pulley faster so the fan would move more air at idle/low speeds (to compensate for the A/C) but this would supposedly then make the WP cavitate at higher rpms from the faster WP impeller speed so they reduces the vanes to correct this. Myself I dont buy the cavitation worry and the $5 anticavitation disc welded on the 8 vane unit gives you much more flow.

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/15/10 10:46 PM

Thanks for the help, but I may have stumbled upon the real problem.....from another post on this blog----it would involve the Edelbrock 750cfm carb #1411......according to the other blog---this carb SUCKS!!!! is this true????
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/15/10 10:50 PM

Yes, its true

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/15/10 10:58 PM

Could this be the reason my car runs hot-----lean condition from a P.O.S. carb???
Posted By: STROKIE

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/18/10 09:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help, but I may have stumbled upon the real problem.....from another post on this blog----it would involve the Edelbrock 750cfm carb #1411......according to the other blog---this carb SUCKS!!!! is this true????

451 C.I. (400 block 440 crank)
750 cfm edelbrock (1411) No Problem with this carb...
22 inch rad, shroud,Mopar cluthfan
Milodon high volume water pump
and use more water instead of antifreeze if you
don't use your car during cold weather...
I use 90% Water 10% Antifreeze + 1 bottle of Waterwetter
Never had Overheating Problem

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/19/10 12:27 AM

Quote:

Could this be the reason my car runs hot-----lean condition from a P.O.S. carb???

Been a few problems w the eddy 750 #1407. I believe your probem is elsewhere & been following this and I hope you discover it.
Posted By: 58pwrwgn

Re: overheating 440---could the head gaskets be on wrong??? - 03/19/10 12:41 AM

You didn't say what kind of waterpump housing you were using, but this might be an interesting read. He had an over heating promblem with the top of the motor becoming hot.
Sorry, I can't get the address to post. Go to the engine section. It is locked as the third post down.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60599.0.html
© 2024 Moparts Forums