Moparts

Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters?

Posted By: Anonymous

Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 03:38 AM

Hi,
I have been running just a standard inline Fram plastic filter for my Edelbrock 4-bbl carb for awhile now. I use this one so I can see the fuel in the filter and know that it hasn't all drained back to the tank when the car is parked.

Recently, someone told me that these filters are a fire hazard and I should only use the metal ones for inline use...

What do you guys think about inline filters? Are these not safe? What are the recommendations for good inline fuel filters for a street Mopar?

Thanks very much.

Attached picture 4584984-fil).jpg
Posted By: demon440

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 04:20 AM

I don't know about the plastic ones,
but the glass ones break and spill gas
all over and catch fire.
Posted By: dalei989

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 04:43 AM

I believe nhra rules require a metal filter housing! Guess there must be a reason.
Posted By: mopeman

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 07:13 AM

I only run the metal filters just to be safe and the one on the '67 is to meet NHRA rules. I will run the clear platic as a tool to see it there is any crap in the tank or lines on a new vehical.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 04:27 PM

Metal is the way to go for safety imo. I use the clear plastic to diagnose dirt/water/rust in the fuel system and then switch to metal.

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 04:47 PM

Ok, thanks for the info guys.

Do you guys think it's because the plastic may melt that people advise against it? I can't imagine it would be more prone to leaks than the metal. I do like being able to see the gas and whether it's going through or not..but not enough to take a chance on a fire..

Thanks!

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 04:51 PM

M E T A L
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/30/08 11:24 PM

Quote:

Do you guys think it's because the plastic may melt that people advise against it?

Yep, don't ask me how I know...
Posted By: 383man

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/31/08 12:59 AM

Funny as I replaced the plastic ones on my 63 and my Boys Dart that I have used since the 70's and never had one melt. But that said in an accident I would not want one under my hood so thats why I replaced them. And no one has ever said anything at tech when we race at NHRA tracks. You cant go wrong with the metal ones. Ron
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/31/08 09:40 PM

I have the same issue. I always used a plastic one and it was really useful to tell if gas was there, etc. But I want to be safe and anyway I need an 8AN filter now.....SO....what suggestions has anyone got for checking the gas at a glance??? Does the carb clear sight plug perform that function??

(Actually now that I mention it, wouldn't a clear sight plug be a similar hazard??)
Posted By: Neil

Re: Plastic vs Metal Inline Fuel Filters? - 07/31/08 10:01 PM

I have a plastic one on my driver, but I replace it frequently as I don't trust it as much as metal.

I like being able to pinpoint a problem quickly so I also have the clear mr.gasket distributor cap. You can watch for spark without taking a spark plug out. Makes a nice fire show in the dark too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums