Moparts

Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street?

Posted By: Anonymous

Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 01:50 PM

If so, How do you like it? How would it differ in performance than a single plane with a mighty demon 850? How are the street manners?
Thanks!
Posted By: mark7171

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 02:14 PM

on the street ? it wouldnt work well at all. if you look at the manifolds they have rpm ranges. a tunnel is for 4000-7000. you cant really drive around with that power band. i know someone who put tight secondary springs in the carbs. they effectively turned it back to a double pumper, and limped around a large single plenum. so it was for looks i guess.

+ tickets for driving without a hood, or obstruction > 6" would add up.

the performer type manifold works great on the street. do you want to bog, or burn rubber ?
Posted By: 1100HPSmallBlock

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 02:40 PM

I had an Edelbrock street tunnel ram on my 360 with 390 CFM vacuum sec. carbs,4.30 rear gears and a 3500 stall.It was very streetable.It did not have alot of low end torque but it would smoke the rear tires from about a 20 MPH cruising speed.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 03:07 PM

i dont get it...

if i put either 4.30's, or a 3500 stall in a vehicle, it wont be very streetable.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 03:17 PM

I ran it for many years on the street with that combo,I got alot of respect too! A 3500 stall is nothing,very streetable, the 4.30 gears just kept you from going out on the interstate.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 03:40 PM

4.30's are very streetable depending on tire height. I ran them for years with 29" tall tires, very easy to drive even on 40mile trips. I have a tunnel ram on my Hemi right now, and its far better than any cross ram or 4bbl intake I have run, but it is efi.

I have a number SB TR's as well, currently waiting to be used on my latest ride by the way, it has a 3500 stall and 4.56 gears and I drive it every sunny day I get and sometimes as far as 50-60 miles 1-way. Very streetable, and you don't even notice the converter unless you really hammer it. Then it just breaks the 15x29's loose anyways and I have to do some serious steering correction. I do have to mention that I have an A-500 with OD that helps with the gears though.

I have also run a tight 8" 4700 stall on the street with no issues as well, but it was a light car ('72 Cuda).

Attached picture 3557687-S_S_DSC07235.JPG

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 03:48 PM

The bigger the engine, the easier it is it seems to run a TR setup on the street. Small cube engines seem to do better when they are set up to run with more rpm. A buddy is running a 68 Charger with a 440, Weiand TR and a couple of Edelbrooks and it runs very well and gets plenty of thumbs up. It has 3.91 gears and 3000 stall and he drives it all over the place. This guy is no dummy but is not real experienced with hot rods so I lent him a hand but it was over the phone only and he got it set up and tuned. I was pretty surprised when he showed up with it and we went for a ride. The grin factor was big. Low rise 2x4 setups have always been a hassle to set up for me and never run as good as the taller intakes do. If you like the looks of 2 carbs and velocity stacks sticking through the hood, go for it but if you like closing the hood on your engine, go with a single carb intake. JMHO.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 03:50 PM

streetable, that means to me... i can take it for a cruise. no hassles from cops. taking no cool-down stops, or overheating after 20 miles of driving in traffic. streetable...

those kind of builds usually accompany locked out timming curves, trans coolers, 4000 rpm cruising, and the mess.

if you have a set of 2 chambers, at 4k, doing 65mph youll get rolled.

i havent found a 3000+ stall ride that didnt drive like a hill billy hotrod, or a 4.56 gear that didnt cruise like my valiant in 2nd.

dragula now be like everybody else and turn off the OD. like those 29"s , then go back to 26's

a racecar is a crappy streetcar, a streetcar is crappy racecar.
Posted By: pro_street_dart

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 04:07 PM

4-speed with 4.88 gears and 31" tires, no problem!

Attached picture 3557724-DartPics020.jpg

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 04:20 PM

thats bad as hell!

where can i get tubular inner fender supports?
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 04:21 PM

There's actually one under the hood of my Dart. Sitting on a 440 with two 750 Holleys on top. 4.56 gears and a 4 spd. Streetable? Yea. But not practicle. Do I want practicle? NO. Tap the throttle and instantly blaze the rear tires.

Attached picture 3557744-1-1-06008.jpg
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 05:52 PM

Works for me too!

Attached picture 3557856-tunnel-ram-resized.jpg

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 06:41 PM

I got lot's of friends that have 4.11-5.14 gears and big stall converters that consider them very streetable but they are as stated not real preactical. When ever they go to the strip they have to trailer them the 50 miles one way. A few of us went to a car show 80 miles away and I was the only one that drove but I have 3.55 gears and a 2,200 or so converter and my car is a daily summer driver. Most of these guy's would never consider driving their cars as drivers. Tunnel rams are okay for racing and looking cool but being practical on street? not!
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 07:20 PM

Ran a Wieand TR & 600 1850s on a 451, low-end torque was no problem with 4.11s, 4100 flash stall (tons of it) & the top-end power was in a class all its own , this set-up was more streetable then my single 750 & M1, Don't listen to what some tell you about TRs , if they have nothing good to say about them, its because they NEVER ran one or they had the wrong carbs & don't know what there talking about , simple as that

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 07:36 PM

Don't forget we all have different idea's of what is streetable- to me it's a car I drive as a daily driver whether it's a five minute drive or a five hour drive. For my buddy it's car that has has to run on 110 and he can't take on the highway, has to change plugs if he idles to long in traffic. Both our cars are street driven but I guess it depends what you want.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 07:44 PM

Thats nice because streetable to me is whatever I'm willing to put up with driving & legally passes state inspection!

I really don't care for single carb tunnel rams but I hear duals work well! ~Mike~

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 08:29 PM

i ran a t-ram w/ 500cfm carters on my 400 in a 71 sebring plus w/ 3.91 gears. let me tell yah...the throttle response and pull were UN-FREAKIN-REAL! never really got MPG's with it tho, but then again i really didn't care! LOL!
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 08:41 PM

Quote:

on the street ? it wouldnt work well at all. if you look at the manifolds they have rpm ranges. a tunnel is for 4000-7000. you cant really drive around with that power band. i know someone who put tight secondary springs in the carbs. they effectively turned it back to a double pumper, and limped around a large single plenum. so it was for looks i guess.

+ tickets for driving without a hood, or obstruction > 6" would add up.

the performer type manifold works great on the street. do you want to bog, or burn rubber ?

In MY opinion.... WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

I just have to ask mark7171.... have you ever run one yourself? So many misconceptions out there that seem to get forwarded...?

I have driven TONS of tunnel rammed 2x4bbl cars over the years, so has my wife. Her daily driver was a 440 2x4bbl 1980 Cordoba LS for years, no troubles whatsoever. A baby bath carried in the trunk was tossed on the scoop during rain when parked, that was the only hassle....

My daily driven work truck was a mild 440 2x4bbl, STOCK torque converter, it had 1 ton suspension and it was HEAVY. It would roast the tires while pulling a trailer, and could do 20mph roll ons with ease.
All UNDER the hood.

Before my Coupe was taken apart I drove it for years with a tunnel rammed 440 2x4bbl. It was a result of too many problems with a single four barrel, exposed transfer slots etc. The two 4bbl tunnel ram solved all my driveability problems!

My Demon I drove year 'round from 1991 until 2000 when I sold it, I drove it in the snow, in -14 Celcius weather, you name it. It passed AirCare emissions testing with NO detuning ever. I drove it on the rollers, passed, and drove it home. Never failed once. With the tunnel ram.
Any B.C. member can tell you what a pain in the rear the AirCare tests can be too.

Notice all the vehicles pictured also had POWER brakes.

It's the combination, if you toss two 850 double pumps on a stock 360 with a tunnel ram, odds are there will be LOTS of trouble, and everybody will be pointing at the tunnel ram.
If you build a well thought out package it will be a driveable vehicle.
It's all in the entire sum of the parts IMO.

I was going to put a tunnel ram and two four barrels on my motorhome, just for the idiocy of it all, but it wouldn't fit in the doghouse.

Besides, I woulda been in the doghouse with my Chickee....

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 08:49 PM

Quote:

Ran a Wieand TR & 600 1850s on a 451, low-end torque was no problem with 4.11s, 4100 flash stall (tons of it) & the top-end power was in a class all its own , this set-up was more streetable then my single 750 & M1, Don't listen to what some tell you about TRs , if they have nothing good to say about them, its because they NEVER ran one or they had the wrong carbs & don't know what there talking about , simple as that

My work truck was a WORK TRUCK. tunnel ram, 2x4bbls, and driven every day all over the place, rush hour traffic, summer, winter, hauling cars ON trailers etc....

Two 450 cfm Holley center floats, they worked like a dream. Never had a better running carbureted truck.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 09:55 PM

yes ive used a tr. yes, a TR will give 30 hp or so over a dialed hot 4 barrel. the TR manifolds do not produce good velocities at reasonable street rpms. if your using hi 4000 stalls or 5 series ring gears, i dont associate those with streetable components. your combination tells me enough of whats going on.

you cannot drive around at 4000 rpms all tunnel ram and headers. the cops will pull you over.

-no a 4000 stall doesnt lock up at 4000 exactly. it does mean your not cruising at 2200 anymore.

Posted By: draginmopars

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 10:00 PM

Four door car hauler- waiting for 518

Attached picture 3558279-3-2=07010.jpg

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 10:11 PM

Quote:

yes but, your stories contradict my expirience. the manifolds do not produce correct velocities at reasonable street rpms. if your using hi 4000 stalls or 5 series ring gears, i dont associate those with streetable components. your combination tells me enough of whats going on.

again you cannot drive around at 4000 rpms all tunnel ram and headers. the cops will pull you over.

Let's try this again- FIRST... who is "driving around at 4000 rpm"?
My truck was driven daily, nobody would have POSSIBLY known there was a 2x4bbl tunnel ram on it if they never popped the hood.
I never had 4000rpm stall converters in ANY of my vehicles with tunnel rams. My truck was a STOCK converter. It pulled out of the hole like crazy. It was HEAVY too.

My work truck- tunnel ram, two four barrel carbs, and headers.

I ran all sorts of gears in most of my cars, I had 5.13 gears in my Demon at one point, but I drove it on the highway. The tires were 33" tall.
My Coupe I am building now has 33" tall tires and 4.10 gears. It will be VERY highway friendly.

It's all about the package IMO?

I have never been pulled over because of a tunnel ram, never had any cop mention anything about my tunnel rams. Maybe it's where you live, but where I live the cops could care less.
I had an Australian visitor who said I couldn't drive through town in a tubbed car without being in big trouble. I drove tubbed cars for decades and decades where I live. Nobody cares.

What experience do you have with a tunnel ram? Engine specs, vehicle, carbs etc? Tell us what you ran?

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 10:23 PM

Thanks everybody! I was planning on puting it on an eddy headed 440 with a nice solid cam. I haven't planned the engine out yet so I have no specs. I do plan on using a vaccuum pump for my brakes. It's not going to be a daily driver and will probably see 500 miles a year. I just feel the need to have a Mr.Gasket scoop popping otta my hood. As for street legal, I believe if the DMV is dumb enough to give me a license plate then it's streetable. Thanks again all!
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 10:23 PM

All I know is from my experience. My 528 Hemi is running around with 4:10 gears,(until I get a 4:56 dana). 31" tires. I've got a Weiand Tunnelram with 2 modified 750 eddies, with ram air box and filter all UNDER the hood. The cam is 272/274@.050, 5000~stall convertor. The carbs are tuned with an LM-1 meter and it starts, idles, runs beautiful in stop-in-go traffic, will smoke the tires from a 50 mph roll,or completely shread them at lower speeds. Throttle response is as good as any single or duel plane I've ever run. It also got 10mpg the last time I went to cruise nite, 100+miles round trip. It also pulls and pulls and pulls, at 7000rpm it's still pressing you back in the seat with no end in sight. Dave

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 10:31 PM

Quote:

All I know is from my experience. My 528 Hemi is running around with 4:10 gears,(until I get a 4:56 dana). 31" tires. I've got a Weiand Tunnelram with 2 modified 750 eddies, with ram air box and filter all UNDER the hood. The cam is 272/274@.050, 5000~stall convertor. The carbs are tuned with an LM-1 meter and it starts, idles, runs beautiful in stop-in-go traffic, will smoke the tires from a 50 mph roll,or completely shread them at lower speeds. Throttle response is as good as any single or duel plane I've ever run. It also got 10mpg the last time I went to cruise nite, 100+miles round trip. It also pulls and pulls and pulls, at 7000rpm it's still pressing you back in the seat with no end in sight. Dave

And if I was in a single 4bbl well built CAR, I would be hesitant to pull beside you....

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/10/07 11:35 PM

Quote:

yes but, your stories contradict my expirience. the manifolds do not produce correct velocities at reasonable street rpms. if your using hi 4000 stalls or 5 series ring gears, i dont associate those with streetable components. your combination tells me enough of whats going on.

again you cannot drive around at 4000 rpms all tunnel ram and headers. the cops will pull you over.

When i said 4100 "flash" stall, thats what i ment, it would foot brake to 2000 before busting the tires loose, theres a BIG difference between flash stall & foot brake stall, if you ever ran a GOOD quality converter, you would no this, i ran all over the place with a 4000 unit.

If you would stop listening to the CHEBBY guys & listen when we say "THEY WORK" on mopars, i'm not saying to put a TR with 2 750 DPers on a 8.1 318 with a stock converter & 2.76 gears, you wouldn't be too happy

But a mild to moderately built SB or BB with 4.11s & a nice street converter, put on the right carbs & your set.

I put mine together with 2 swap meet 1850-2s that i paid 15.00 a piece for, hooked up the fuels lines, the car was sitting for 3 weeks, i put (3) 1/2 throttle pumps & it fired right up & idled at 1000 rpm, i was to say the least, throttle responce was un-frigin-real, when i drove it around, i was at all the guys that told me it would be a big mistake.

TRs were the hot ticket back when i was a kid, they worked then (on the street from stop light to stop light) & they work today, there just making a big comeback, have i said enough , i'll shut up now
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:20 AM

to all you people with these opinions.....

HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY RAN A TUNNEL RAM ON THE STREET???

if you answered NO.... then butt out! your opinions are not really backed up with anything other then wives tales and crap!

I run a eddy street ram and LOVE IT!
I HAVE 3.23's - I take the car 2.5 hours to carlisle and dont even think about if the tunnel ram will make it or not...

I GET 16 mpg'S - WITH A TUNNEL RAM

a 360 with 2-holley 390's and a dynamic 3800 stall converter that was built for my setup.

3.23's with a 26" tall tire will get me down the quarter in 12.56 seconds at 106 mph with a 1,74 6o' time.... with stock 1.88 intake valve heads...

i have been waiting for this low end problem and i didnt even have it with the mopar 2500 ( 175k ) cheapo converter i had in before... it was never there...

I have a hilborn scoop and run a shower cap in the rain. thats it... I'll drive it anywhere anytime and sit in traffic with it too.... so bring on your misconceptions and put your money where your mouth is...

fact of the matter is my car would not be nearly as fast without the t-ram... plain and simple and pulling more MPG's then my 01 dakota r/t is saying something too,,, but it must not be streetable.....for some people...all of this on a stock rebuilt 360 with some kb flattops in it...lol

here i am getting caught in a rain storm on the way to carlisle...

the unstreetable top end.....

tunnel ram+3.23's+ slicks = BOG??/ no it ='s a 1.74 60' time...

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:27 AM

I didn't want to mention the decent gas mileage part, I thought I would be thrown to the wolves.

LOL

I'm thinking mike7171- are you thinking a 4000rpm stall converter won't move the car until 4000 rpms, or?

My 3200 rpm converter in my Demon felt much like a stock converter unless the pedal was pounded.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:31 AM

i have been replying to these posts for years, and they bug me....

i'll bolt on a dual plane and I bet my car will be slower...

a 3430 lb car with 3.23's and stock smal valve heads in the mid 12's?? nope....

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:34 AM

Yeah, me too, but what do you do?

Mine were all driven hard on a daily basis. I don't know where the "overheating" stuff comes from, not a clue????

I would say take a good look at your combo, your numbers, and your opinion. Seems like you've sorted it out pretty danged well....

Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:40 AM

Quote:

if you answered NO.... then butt out! your opinions are not really backed up with anything other then wives tales and crap!

its the same as the clowns that go around telling everyone that a big block A-Body won't handle at all.. and how they are only good for striaght lines... or the clowns that said for years that a big block doesn't fit into an early a-body....

don't worry about it guys.. you know what you have and how it runs. if they don't want to believe it then the heck with them. they are the ones missing out....

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:42 AM

sorted out? not really... the carbs are basically stock,, I put a balance tube in between them and a lighter spring... I'm just tired of hearing all the babble and false opinions...lol

i posted my combo here and asked what it will run... i got mostly 14 second estimates.... i ran 13.3 my first time out... i have over 5000 miles on this setup and will never take the manifold off.... no way!!

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:46 AM

Quote:

its the same as the clowns that go around telling everyone that a big block A-Body won't handle at all.. and how they are only good for striaght lines...

hey, mine was tubbed with 19.50s, it handled better than I'm willing to say.
Posted By: B1duster

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 01:01 AM

Quote:

i have been replying to these posts for years, and they bug me....

i'll bolt on a dual plane and I bet my car will be slower...

a 3430 lb car with 3.23's and stock smal valve heads in the mid 12's?? nope....

DJVCuda, your advise has not been waisted. I just got back from putting 390s on my brothers 340 Swinger with M1 T ram and it runs GREAT !!! We got a pair of rebuilt, but zink ? coated(better than new), 390s from a carb shop on Long Island (ebay). The car has sat for the last few yrs because after cutting and repainting the hood and getting it all set up for the T ram it ran like hell with 450s on it, and my brother lost interest. Now after bolting on these carbs and a little tweeking it runs smoother than it did with a single 625 carter and LD340 intake. We will be getting it all cleaned up and driving it 3 1/2 hours to Carlisle next month. THANK YOU VERY MUCH , you were on the money with your advise
Posted By: RedRam

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 02:52 AM

Love my M1 TR w/850's. Throttle response is instantaneous.
My setup is not "practical", it is obnoxious and I love it.
Haven't got the milage thing worked out yet but I am getting there, need an LM1.
Works great on the street, cruise around at 2500rpm, stab the throttle and it goes to 4500 instantly and all heck breaks loose.
Works great puttin around the farm also lol.
Try it, you will like it!

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 03:08 AM

Here was mine, i miss my duster

Attached picture 3559049-2439-R1-09-9A.jpg

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 03:10 AM

Another

Attached picture 3559053-2439-R1-08-8A.jpg

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 11:14 AM

Dan.... You gotta stop by and say HI at calisle!!!

Glad to hear about the progress!!!

that made my morning!
Posted By: dberlien

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 12:22 PM

I run a .030 over 440 with 10 to 1 flattops, pocket ported heads with .509/312 (advertised) cam, headers, 4-speed, 3.55 gears and two 500 cfm Edelbrocks. Very streetable, lots of low end grunt, no problems at all. I have run the Woodward Dream Cruise numerous times and other than my clutch leg getting tired, it was no problem at all. Granted, with the cam it still lopes up to 50 mph and the mileage is not great at 10 mpg (babying it). But, I wouldn't hesitate to tunnel ram and two small fours on a big block. If you were running a 727, you would need loose converter or a much less radical cam.

I have also run a 340 with the same basic setup and it wasn't any fun at all! Not enough torque, a bit like a two-stroke dirt bike. It was either "on the pipe" or not.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 01:11 PM

I do believe lots of people tried to utilize USED holley carbs that were warped and "fiddled" to death. Always good to go new with the 2 carbs unless you KNOW the carbs are good. Lots of guys running 2 double pumpers on an 8 to 1 small block ect ect . Seems the big block mopar is fine with tunnel rams on the street but big block chevies are very sluggish down low.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 02:11 PM

Quote:

Seems the big block mopar is fine with tunnel rams on the street but big block chevies are very sluggish down low.

Bingo, thats why most chevy guys say they don't work, BB mopars have there torque very low in the RPM range, BB chevys don't.

New carbs are useally the way to go, i got very lucky with those holleys i bought, but as long as the throttle shafts aren't shot & theres no water damage, you should be fine with just a kit, normally people don't cut up or modify the 600 1850s, DPers are a different story.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 04:10 PM

Quote:

that made my morning!

I will be on the lookout for your car. My brothers car is a 70 petty blue Swinger with black tail stripe and wing, blower scoop and either centerlines or slots. See you there
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 05:15 PM

If you get an older TR with medium-sized runners, and use two smaller carbs set up for the operation it should be great. The long runners actually build torque at lower engine speeds, there have been published dyno tests proving that the torque is bietter than a regular intake below the torque peak, I think the last one was Car Craft about 3 years ago. But you cannot take the latest TR built for a 600-inch engine and expect the same results. The carbs have to be dialed in, too. The single four-barrel tops have lousy mixture distribution so forget them.

30 years ago I saw a TR on a road race car that had been converted to electronic fuel injection. Ran strong, looked BAD.
R.
Posted By: donscuda

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 05:26 PM

My Dad and I used to run a '75 Duster with a 383 and a tunnel ram, had no problems running it on the street, you just had to set the carbs right....we were running a fairly easy gear in it also, a 3.55... we also ran the whole power tour in 2002 from Chicago to Lincoln Nebraska, to Youngstown Ohio and back to Chicago and never had on issue with the car...

Attached picture 3559984-duster1.jpg

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 08:29 PM

Quote:

Most of these guy's would never consider driving their cars as drivers. Tunnel rams are okay for racing and looking cool but being practical on street? not!

I sure hope that assesment is now defunct!

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/11/07 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Most of these guy's would never consider driving their cars as drivers. Tunnel rams are okay for racing and looking cool but being practical on street? not!

I sure hope that assesment is now defunct!

yup....good memories and lotsa fun running a T-RAM on the street. i think i'll shelve the LD340/TQ combo for now, whip out the credit card and get the WEIAND T-RAM W/ DUEL 450cfm HOLLEYS from summit then go chevy hunting
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 03:17 PM

Always love the comments about TR's from people, but I know they run very well.

My next question:
Which carbs would be best on my 360 with the Weind TR? The 390 or 450 Holleys, or a pair of 500 eddy's, anyone try both?

My intention is next year or so going to a mild 340/416 stroker which I am in the process of building, so if I do, will I need bigger carbs, or should I just hold off? Did anyone here run the same carbs on their small block and then go stroker?

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 04:25 PM

I can tell you one thing...

I bought the 450's first - they have a mechanical secondary and no acc pump for the rear venturi... it was an instant BOG when the secondaries opened...

could it have been worked out? probably...

I went with 390's and they are basically box stock and they work great on my 360.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 04:29 PM

Quote:

I bought the 450's first - they have a mechanical secondary and no acc pump for the rear venturi... it was an instant BOG when the secondaries opened...

I went with 390's and they are basically box stock and they work great on my 360.

I second that!

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 04:30 PM

Quote:

!!! I just went through the same exact thing.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 04:46 PM

383 powered 1923 Ford Roadster w/ 390 holleys on polished Weiand tunnelram. Street use only.
Bruce
Posted By: gd9704

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 05:04 PM

Neat bucket T!

It's obvious that tunnel rams CAN be run on the street--But it takes the right setup, the right car and the right person to live with it!

Most of us can't or won't, so we slog along with our single 4-barrels on a dual plane intake....

I do respect those of you who do!
Posted By: Seth_Jones

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 07:37 PM

Would the 450's work any better on a 440?I'm putting together a 10:1 440 with eddy's,Weiand TR,and a.528 mopar solid.I was really considering getting the 450's over 390's just due to price difference.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/13/07 08:17 PM

be prepared for them not to work out of the box... at least thats what I came acrost...
\
would a set of 50CC pumps do tyhe trick?
add the price of them up and the cams and the time and the effort.. and a set of 600's would probably work better....IMO...

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/14/07 06:05 AM

Quote:

i wish i knew that before i ordered.

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/14/07 01:25 PM

as long as there was never gas inthem they will take them back... I know...lol

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/15/07 12:11 AM

Quote:

Would the 450's work any better on a 440?I'm putting together a 10:1 440 with eddy's,Weiand TR,and a.528 mopar solid.I was really considering getting the 450's over 390's just due to price difference.

Get ya a pair off 600 1850s

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/15/07 12:29 AM

Quote:

as long as there was never gas inthem they will take them back... I know...lol

then could i ask for the 390cfm carbs? did you have to pay extra or just pay the shipping? (sorry for going off topic.)

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/15/07 10:21 AM

i bought themover 10 years ago.. i couldent tell you the details..
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/15/07 03:08 PM

I have a pair of new 450`s that I used about 3 or 4 months and then replaced them with the 390`s. I did loose a liitle power with the 390`s but the car ran much better. Anyone interested in buying the 450`s at a fair price let me know. I just didn`t have the knowledge to get those carbs to run right. Mike

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/17/07 02:18 AM

Quote:

that made my morning!

Here's a pic of the car, runs great

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/17/07 01:21 PM

i'll keep my eyes peeled!!!

Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 06/17/07 02:28 PM

390's? I ran two 660's on a stock stroke 340.Good response, very streetable but the 660 accelerator pump setup was HARD on fuel. I had 4:30's and a 3500 stall-nothing crazy. I think the secret is buying GOOD carbs, the RIGHT carbs, and a little tuning knowledge. Thats it. Really. Most that dont like rams usually blow it in one of these areas.

Attached picture 3572373-Picture001.jpg

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 02/27/09 11:46 PM

can anyone tell me i want to buy the tunnel ram kit from summit for a 360 all stock mild came stock converter i want to just drive it on the street i know i wont have alot of bottom end just like the look will it run ok the kit comes with 450 holley thanks
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Anyone run a tunnel ram on the street? - 02/28/09 12:05 AM

I have no experience running Holleys in a dual setup but I have had 2 cars with dual Edelbrock 500 cfm carbs. Very easy to tune and ran great with no fuss no muss. If you want to run duals on a mild street engine and are an Edelbrock hater you are really causing more headaches for yourself. Not saying the Holleys dont work- just that its easier to get it right with the Carter type carbs. What ever brand you choose go BRAND NEW!!!!!!........ and go small. EXAMPLE- I have had 2 440 Challengers with 509 cams, 4:10 gears and 3000 stall converters. On the Eddy 2x4 manifold I ran 2 Edelbrock 500s when Eddy recommends 600s. It didnt miss a beat anywhere in the RPMs. That car now has an M1 Tunnel Ram with the same carbs. Car still runs fantastic but has more upper mid and high RPM due to the tunnel ram.
© 2024 Moparts Forums