Moparts

Toyota Alternator

Posted By: CHRGR69

Toyota Alternator - 03/03/10 04:23 PM

Was considering trying this on my 383. Who has the brackets and wiring schematic for this setup? I know the alt has a 3 prong connector and apparently eliminates the VR.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/03/10 04:37 PM

http://www.arengineering.com/alternatorbracket/ND_bracket/denso.html
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/03/10 06:42 PM

Most of the larger Mopar parts vendors carry that kit. 440Source, Mancini Racing, Hughes Engines, etc.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/03/10 06:54 PM

Quote:

Was considering trying this on my 383. Who has the brackets and wiring schematic for this setup? I know the alt has a 3 prong connector and apparently eliminates the VR.

make sure you file a lawsuit against toyota when it causes your accelerator to stick at wot lol.

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/03/10 07:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

make sure you file a lawsuit against toyota when it causes your accelerator to stick at wot lol.

Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/03/10 11:15 PM

I have it on my small block, works great. Make sure to not run the sense wire just back to the alt. It confuses the regulator.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/04/10 09:32 PM

Quote:

I have it on my small block, works great. Make sure to not run the sense wire just back to the alt. It confuses the regulator.

Ditto... I picked the alternator and brackets as a kit from Mancini's a few years back for my Eddie headed 360. The 60 amp alternator charges dramatically better than the 73 amp round back I was running. Power seats, locks, windows, an MSD ignition, and subs are no problem.

Also, as said before, run the sense line back to the battery.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 12:56 AM

Mine is overcharging and now I think I know why I have the sense wire just over to the starter relay
Thanks guys
BTW I used the AR Engineering mount kit with the AR motor plate too it all fits perfect
Gus
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 02:37 AM

Quote:

I have the sense wire just over to the starter relay

That should be fine as long as its on the live side of the relay.

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 04:12 AM

Same place mine on the starter relay. Works fine
Posted By: ademon

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 06:33 AM

Mine holds a constant 14.5v at the battery, is that overcharging?

Attached picture 5846373-71Demon340(6).JPG
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 06:36 AM

Quote:

About Ideal...
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 03:37 PM

Is this really worth doing? I have tons of stuff in my Cuda project. A/C,P/Seats, amp, electric fuel pump, line lock,H1/H4 headlights on relays, etc. I have done the Mad conversion, so I've eliminated the poor original connections, and figured running the headlights on relays would help "free" up some power for the rest. Stock alternator-
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 03:39 PM

It's lighter, more compact, and I'm told makes more juice at idle than the old unit.

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 03:51 PM

Yep, the Denso units put out a bunch more amps at idle than the Mopar design. I switched over to the Denso unit (Toyota 4Runner) several years ago on my car and the difference was quite noticeable.

Attached picture 5846750-Denso_billet.jpg

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 06:27 PM

Quote:

Mine is overcharging and now I think I know why I have the sense wire just over to the starter relay
Thanks guys
BTW I used the AR Engineering mount kit with the AR motor plate too it all fits perfect
Gus

So where did you guys run the 3 wires too? And must it be 3? I have a 2 wire plug that's why I'm asking?
Posted By: ademon

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/05/10 07:48 PM

Quote:

its worth doing, i have electric F/P, small amp, with everything on wipers included it still puts out 14.2v at idle 850 rpm.
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/06/10 12:22 AM

Perhaps this will help.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5831617
Posted By: JRs_Charger

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/06/10 01:02 AM

Just wanted to say I have the exact same setup from 440 source on my 440. The alternator is originally off an early 90's 4Runner I believe.

In my opinion its 100% worth the upgrade. Less weight over the nose of the car. Smaller more compact unit that frees up space underhood. Much more reliable part instead of the 40 Year old original units. Much steadier output at idle.

I love this conversion.

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/06/10 12:36 PM

I also did the headlight relay conversion. That is worth doing too. I HATE electrical issues. So I want to have a bulletproof electrical system as possible.

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/06/10 09:24 PM

Quote:

Perhaps this will help.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5831617

It did!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/06/10 09:27 PM

They sure are ugly compared to the mopar alternators though. For those who care.

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/07/10 02:30 PM

They don't stickout that much. They are slightly rounded. They do have a heat shield on the back.

Attached picture 5850115-IMAG0108small.jpg
Posted By: BDW

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/07/10 02:53 PM

So, these are single groove pulleys only? Looks like it wont work for AC cars?

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/07/10 04:56 PM

They look stock to most people. That isn't really surprising because they are an OEM alternator. Chrysler started to use Denso alternators in the 80's when the engineers finally figured out that the old Mopar design was obsolete.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/07/10 05:00 PM

no i got a double pully/120 amp denso/ext regulated alt from a member here

I had to flip it and use the single ear as the pivot on the 440 with stock non a/c brackets/pullys

a double pully should be on a 89-up pre mag 318 truck with a/c= or van,IIRC

i got another one from a tbi van from the u-pull for the sb

the sb one does not looked fliped in the last pic posted

fliping it on the BB moved the batt post away from the head and did not need shortend as some have done??? with just the right spaceing the feild studs just clear the head/freeze plug boss and vc edge

Posted By: landon1

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/07/10 09:41 PM

anyone here fab their own brackets for this alt swap on a big block?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/07/10 09:48 PM

I used the pattern in the archives for the small block one you print out and use as a template

have not used it on a sb though,just got one on the 440 so far

stock brackets work but I guess you can make a set up from scratch
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Toyota Alternator - 03/09/10 12:35 AM

A stock big block alt. bracket can be used on a BB. However, there are several variations and not sure how many of them will not work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums